Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Passed my CFI check ride today. Flight was great... the ground kicked my ass in some parts... or I wasn’t as happy with my performance and wanted to be a lot better. Brain is fried but will be excited tomorrow when it sinks in.

as far as buying a plane... another guy bought a plane and I’m going to work a deal with him on something while I instruct

Razr, HPPT, beechkingd and 8 others like this.
  2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I'd like to get my vfr's buy a little cessna 182 or something. Love planes.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Congrats.

4. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Congrats! Folks outside the aviation world dont realize how much effort is involved and the signifigance of that rating. Its the toughest one from the book learning perspective.

Photo and Steak Travis like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

CFI Is a tough one. Congrats!

6. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Follow Gino’s advice. Find a large flight school and work your butt off as a cfi. Regionals will hire you at 1450 hrs. Biggest hurdle for you is staying focused on your goals. Make monthly flight goals. My youngest daughter went down this road and now fly’s for Endeavor.

Gino230 and Steak Travis like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1
    good job

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Easy answer to your woes. Work in finance full time making grownup money, work as a jump pilot on the weekends to get your flying thrills, and don’t buy. Make enough money to retire young and be financially secure, then go buy your plane. There you go, problem solved. :moon:

9. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

And I’m sitting here watching reruns of airplane repo

:Poke:

:D

10. Steak Travis

MEI Checkride done! CFII next in February. We were able to get this scheduled before the II. The right engine is off and feathered :) may need to raise the dead a little more
    [​IMG]

motion, Razr, HPPT and 2 others like this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Congrats.

My MEI checkride took about 20 minutes. Examiners know that is probably the most dangerous thing they do. He wasn't going to spend any extra time.

Triple X likes this.
  12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t you be watching where you are going? :D

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I actually had to pass the commercial MEI check ride twice, being enrolled in a part 141 school as a part 91 candidate (because of prior experience). Second one, with the FAA guy, was a lot more relaxing. :D

Steak Travis and Triple X like this.
  14. Steak Travis

Yeah this was my fastest check ride. Ground portion was quick, I worked in VMC, critical engine, zero slip all in one lesson that didn't take too long so I hit the high points. Talking through the VMC demo and how we would do it in flight confirmed what I already knew. My instructor for my multi commercial was taking it too far for what they want. We'd take VMC demo all the way to it breaking then recovering which isn't the brightest thing to do, but good experience on my part I guess.

CFII will be good, I've got a lot of instrument minutia to relearn

Triple X likes this.
  15. SteveThompson

When I was getting my ratings at Purdue, 3 students were killed taking it too far with multi training. I've done a fair bit of that type of instruction. It's dangerous. In more powerful airplanes it's not as bad, but you still have to be cautious.

https://apnews.com/article/6df723d54d45b0f600dcfde1ed94bd6f

Steak Travis and Triple X like this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What the Actual l F*(^K....I hope this was done at like 5-6000agl, min.

There is a reason people dont do real cuts at TO and stuff at low level like "back in the day"....too many got killed by it back in the day.

Red Fox Racing likes this.
  17. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I remember doing many simulated v1 cuts in the airplane back in the days before sims.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  18. SteveThompson

There’s no V1 in an Aztec or whatever it is in that picture. The dangerous part is that in a lot of small twins VMC and stall speed kinda start to come together.

19. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Seneca, and like most Pipers, they have a glide ratio like a set of keys.
    I’m not an instructor, but I did my multi rating, and multi/instrument all at once in one. Every flight was under the hood. Every takeoff I lost an engine, and every landing was a single engine approach. Good times...

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I did similar training in a Seminole. On that FAA check ride, I started to get really nervous when the examiner had me coming in for a normal landing after an instrument approach. Couldn't remember for sure the target speed/power for a normal landing. Then he failed an engine on me on short final. Good thing he didn't look over, he might have found my smile insulting.