1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a used Ohlins

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rd400racer, Sep 2, 2022.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I found an Ohlins on Ebay off a bike that was claimed to have around 12,000 miles. It looks in really good shape but of course the seller has no information on it. What should I be aware of on a purchase such as this? I have a clear view of the spring number but founding nothing about it when searching. They're asking less that $500 for it.

2. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I would just plan on sending it in for a regular service. Oil, seals and whatever else needs to be replaced. Should cost about $100-120 for that.

Gecko, RichMangus, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

So long as the shaft isn’t rusty and the body isn’t corroded or damaged, I don’t see how you could go wrong. The bushings are replaceable, so no big deal with those.

As mentioned, just plan on sending it off to have it serviced, valved, and sprung for your needs. Again, no big deal.

rd400racer and R/T Performance like this.
  4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I did the same. Mine has been great

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the shocks will have a model # embossed at the top or by the spring perch. I had a few older ones serviced by Burke motorsport he only does Ohlins. I would do all new seals. I sent a 20 yr old shock in for service, shipping, parts & it was $225ish.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  6. Factor the cost for servicing it into your purchase and call it a day. Start with a fresh shock as you have no history on that one. Just look at mounting points, scratches or gouges on the shaft, clickers not damaged and move freely (have to take his word doe that unless he sends you a video) etc

rd400racer and Phl218 like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

yup. a new one is not much more in the end and you will know what you have.

i've sent used stuff to öhlins in Hendersonville NC and they have been great with turnaround and pricing. so unless you get a steal, rather buy new.

Edit:
    the $500 ebay is probably the OEM - S model stuff, pretty ok and better an a sachs. the real difference is the the TTX which is around $1500 new and another level.

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I specifically wanted an older TTX Ohlins for my dirtbike not the newer type that was backwards compatible. Ohlins makes a limited run of shocks for a model & they always sell out.
    The OEM WP shock has remained largely the same over the model evolution except the later versions have a smaller reservoir or shock lengths that vary a few mm.
    Weight wise the older Ohlins is about a lb heavier than the newer ones plus they have a much lighter/easier to adjust spring preload.

I found a super sweet 2014 993-0 example for <$250 which had DLC coating on the shaft, an oversized reservoir, & a bevy of springs plus shim stack setup notes.
    In my case the "all in" cost on purchase & refreshing the used unit was <$500 total.
    I could have had my WP shock serviced & modified by Kreft for $950... or could have saved 1.5 lbs going to a pimp assed MXT National shock for $2600.

Phl218 likes this.