1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a '06 gsxr-600 street, what to look for

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ian178, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i've been out of racing for a loooong time. I was looking at picking up a budget street bike and came across a clean '06 gsxr-600 at a good price.

I was hoping to get some advice pertaining to know issues with them, what to look for when I meet the seller, ect. Any advice would be appreciated. Bike has about 15k on it.

Thanks,

Ian

2. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Brake master cylinder recall done?

It is 1000 miles past the valve adjustment intervals, were they done?

standard used bike stuff and without receipts to prove anything was done, don't believe a single word the seller tells you. They are pathological liars, every used bike seller I have ever met.

Set aside a week and $1000 to do everything it will actually need.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The only iffy thing to be wary that I can think to add is the R/R on these bikes is prone to issues. It's bolted right between the radiator and the engine. Not too smart a place to keep it cool. I moved mine outboard of the engine to get it better airflow.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Leaking fork seals - dude may have wiped them dry.
    Tire wear - burnouts or chicken strips.
    Chain/sprocket wear
    Overall cleanliness - is there an inch of gunk build up on bike?

As a racer, you should be one up on what to look for as far as how the bike was maintained.

5. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

+1 on the R/R being prone to failure. Most people end up replacing with a Ricks R/R setup and moving it either into the airbox or to the position that the K8/9 use which is outboard the engine bay area on the left side if your sitting on the bike.

6. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Everything seems good on it for now. I may go ahead and address the rectifier before it has problems through. Planning to ride it a little till the weather gets cold, then ill start tinkering with it.