1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BRZ/FRS

Discussion in 'General' started by theJrod, Aug 14, 2012.

1. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Anyone own one?

I've just started seeing them on the roads, and a guy showed up to one of my track days with an FRS towing a small trailer with his Ducati(!).

They look amazing, sound like they handle phenomenally, get good mileage, and the price is right.

Might be my next car.... except it's probably not ideal for a family cruiser.

2. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Finally saw one in person this weekend. They look amazing. Curious about test driving one.

3. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

I've heard some good things from the autox guys about them. They appear to be well received by the Subaru guys as well. There should be some decent power to be had if you want to stay NA, and real power is only a turbo away.

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

They do sound like a lot of fun.

I havent heard any major complains about them.
    Maybe lack a little power.

I was thinking about trading my car into one of them, but just ended up buying another bike :beer:

5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I thought the 200HP sounded a bit low at first, but I think that's purely because of all the horsepower inflation going on these days. 200 is plenty with only 2500 lbs to push.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Well, i think 250 would be ideal, or 240 like the s2000.

Hell, 1000 bike are making 200hp haha

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I rode next to one into work this morning. Looks like a fun car and I really dig the styling.

It's the 240Z for 2012.

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I did the new model release launch at Summit Shenandoah with a few FR-S's, scion TC, Civic Si, and the Hyundai Genesis turbo.

The FR-S was by far, the best handling car there. They didn't let us take off the traction control or stability control, so I couldn't really get it out of shape and we didn't run the whole course, but A few corners with varying cone slaloms set up leading into them to keep the speeds down.

If I was looking for a fun, part time auto-x car, that'd be it!

I had a 1993 Mazda Miata and I'm fairly certain that the FR-S would put it to shame on any road course or auto cross course.

9. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Great looking car, needs an optional 300 hp engine.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Neat car.

If you think it needs more HP go to the aftermarket. There's turbo kits hitting the market that claim up to 350hp.

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I think a turbo is one of the worse things you can do to this car.

Its all about the handling, and the non linear power delivery of a turbo would just make it bad.

I think and nice built NA motor is the way to go. It dont need 350hp

12. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

Turbo's can produce somewhat linear power. Of course you will need them to build boost but there's no reason you can tune a smaller vf turbo or something similar to get the results you want. There's plenty of wrx's using a similar boxer motor that make tons of power in the mid range.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I test drove one. You need to rev the shit out them to make power, torque is so absent. Handling was nice but it's extremely small. Think Miata sized. Fit and finish is nice. Great for canyon carving or track days, but not much else.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's a relatively cheap sports car. It's not supposed to be an interstate cruising luxo barge, a tire smoking penis enlarging quarter mile star or a family of 7 going to grand ma's while towing the boat roadtoad.

Cheap, rear wheel drive, handles well, makes you work for your payoff, sounds like a great idea.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's completely ridiculous that they are delivering this car shod with Michelin Primacy (the Prius tires).

17. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I want one... Maybe when the turbo comes out. I wonder how much more it will be?

18. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Ive love a BRZ , but , untill a STi verson comes along , the Legacy GT will just have to suffice :beer: - and no, I havent driven one , if Ido I think it will probally be going home wiht me - lol

19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I work for Subaru currently , played a bit with the BRZ today. No doubt its a fun car for the money , but the handling and interior really push this thing into the "great car " category. It's so flat through turns at nearly any speed, and that's on the stock TINY Prius ish tire.

I too was taken a back by the low sounding HP figures ( coming from a 911 turbo) , but really , its so light you hardly notice!

20. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I like the car. But I'm a traditional subi guy. I loved my wrx and wish I didn't sell it. To me a Subaru is awd