1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bright driving/off road lights?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jun 17, 2022.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

Looking for some inexpensive lights to put on the front of a SUV. Thin rectangle maybe, not big round... Am I looking for led lighting or some other type? Been awhile since I looked at getting lighting like this.

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

KC lights and a roll bar, just like The Fall Guy.

Steeltoe, cpettit and Knotcher like this.
  3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

4. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

You can get inexpensive that won't last or something that will last that ain't cheap. Really don't have any suggestions, looked at several different light bars or pods and always talk myself out of them. Can't convince myself that I'd use them enough to justify the cost. Not only is there cost involved in the lights but then you have to wire them in.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I got some new Hella Big and Round Ambers for my RAM and they make all the difference in the world for Fog and rain…

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

For road use or true off road use?

I have a set of square Rigid D-ss pro, 3x4 inches (fllod pattern) on my jeep. I do multiple night runs all over Arizona every month. Set up on the wireless Trigger switch. Super bright and reliable. Would highly recommend anything by Rigid.

I'm ordering a bunch of round KC highlights for my K30 Crew cab. Will ket you know when installed

8. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

malamute and fastfreddie like this.
  9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

For road use, just get your headlights aimed properly. Personally I wish the pd's would just start impounding vehicles running illegal headlights/off road only lights on the roads. Tired of those asshats who have to run 20"-50" led off road light bars on the roads blinding everyone.

Off road use, buy the best you can afford. Just remember in some states, they have to be either covered or physically disconnected.

r1owner, CRA_Fizzer and Kev59 like this.
  10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I have Diode Dynamic's on the tacoma bumper, ijdmtoy in the hood scoop, with some kick ass factory style switches from ch4x4 (nothing less than amazing). have ijdm and rough country on the sierra, and rough country on the subi. using light bars for extra vision at night, correctly, and with other drivers in mind (turn them off when you see oncoming traffic), is an acceptable practice for me. flash me when you have witnessed I have turned my high beams, and light bars off, and expect karma to blast your retina's, with extreme prejudice. :D

once you have real light bars on road, you will wonder how we ever drove at night safely. just be courteous to others. the people that just run them all the time, are just douche's.

here is a link to ijdm. https://store.ijdmtoy.com/

Ski

11. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Donut Media on the tubes did a comparison, including cheap (no name Chinese) and classic (KC) options. LEDs have changed the game.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If you’re not racing in Baja you can get away with cheapish stuff.

I put a set of Piaa lights on my land cruiser that were maybe $250. Plenty bright for my purposes. I went with round though because I wanted a classic look consistent with the age of the truck. Not sure if they do a rectangular option.

13. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Diode , kc , baja designs , rigid all goos options. I run baja designs on my semi trucks and my raptor for baja trips . Good lighting is worth the $

malamute likes this.
  14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure, all the RIGID and 'name brand' lights are the same cheap stuff you get on Amazon.

I run a 32" and 14" LED light bars and (2) 4" LED pods from Amazon on my SxS. I've had them on my RZR Turbo for over 4 yrs and ZERO problems. They get beat to death in the TN mountains, rocks, fast trails, baja style shit too.

I highly suggest that you do not spend the outrageous $ on the Rigid stuff and the like unless money is not a concern.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Nilight-Driving-Lights-Warranty/dp/B01DNYCJQW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=8A6YE52QF0ZI&keywords=32"+light+bar&qid=1655638389&sprefix=32+light+bar,aps,63&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-13-5-Work-Light-Driving/dp/B019MF1NPE/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1EWM786WFVDPE&keywords=14"+light+bar&qid=1655638447&sprefix=14+light+bar,aps,73&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-ZH302-Driving-Harness-Warranty/dp/B07SFG7GN9/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3GEUBLCLD6F92&keywords=4"+LED+light+pods&qid=1655638629&sprefix=4+led+light+pods,aps,68&sr=8-7

Here's a 10" RIGID light just for comparison.... $300 vs $30....infucking sane.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-110312-Combo-Flood/dp/B00GQGWB1S/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1KZL4O3A6ZRBV&keywords=RIGID+light+bar&qid=1655638676&sprefix=rigid+light+bar,aps,69&sr=8-2&th=1

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd throw Rigid in the same dumpster as the rest of that Chinese crap...

BajaDesigns, cuz the dark is afraid of them. Plus, they're bike people. Oh, and lifetime warranty.
    'Nuff said.

<edit>
    Whoa! Just checked BD's site for the umpteenth time. They have completely left the res...prices ARE insane, like 4x what they used to be. Bummer.
    Definitely Putin's fault. :D

Okay, looking, again, for a 10" light bar with flood/work light pattern. Them Nilights are starting to look pretty good. ;)

<edit, again>
    No 10" bars. Crap.

<and still more edits>
    Seems Amazon has a warehouse full of BD, at pre-fucked up prices. Sweet! Back in business. Yeah, it's $430, but I'll only buy it once.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    gapman789 likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Oops. Light and harness I'm looking for, $359. Click. :)

Seems those $1K-$2K BDs were for the huge light bars. I ain't goin' ludicrous speed. In fact, I'm just lookin' for lighting to work as fogs and for nighttime winch work....S8/wide cornering pattern/amber lens.

Gonna make a red lens for when that wheelin'/winchin' needs a tactical approach.
    So, where do I find red, hardcoated polycarbonate? :crackup:

17. dasrider

dasrider 99 problems

theretrofitsource ain't cheap, but everything I've bought from them is high quality and lasts. They've got a bunch of offroad stuff, both vehicle specific and universal if you want to get something that works:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/off-road/led-pods

You'll see KC Hilites is still in the game with LEDs, even in the classic round styles.

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Check out Diesel LED.

Good stuff.

19. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i ended up with a nilight 20" flood/spotlight bar and 2 smaller spotlights from amazon. i didnt need the very best or anything really close. i think these will do just fine. theyre going to be mounted on the front of a street driven truck for driving at night (in cuba)...so street legal isnt a problem lol. thanks for the info fellas.

20. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I spent quite a bit of effort playing with LED lights for mountain bike use over the winter, which included buying several sets of cheap led lights from Amazon. I ended up with amazing lights that outshine and outlast the most expensive stuff on the commercial market, of about 15% of the cost.

The super cheap stuff had crappy housings and less than good reflectors and lenses.

I found the lights from 4wdking to be a solid choice based on quality and price.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/4WDKING/page/82317633-13B8-4C48-81DA-D8198478DE2D?ref_=ast_bln

If mounting on a tube or handlebar, I like this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791NB4FM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need a wiring harness, or you can build your own, but at the prices asked, it's cheaper and easier to plug and play.

Shawn