1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brand of helmet??

Discussion in 'General' started by melissaclark, Jun 22, 2012.

1. EdV

EdV 129 Race Team

I've worn a variety of brands but really like my Scorpion(s). They have protected my head in crashes, meet standards, and are reasonably priced. I like the fit of the EXO 400 with my oval head. I also appreciate that they also support racers.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I find it funny that the OP never returned to check on what brand of helmet to use.

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Been wearin Shoei since the 90s and love them but there just costing to much these days so I switched to Bell and I really like them.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

A little extreme, dontcha think????

5. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

No.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

that your position on helmets only or do you practice that kind of excentricity with ALL your motorcycle gear??

7. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Eccentricity.

No. I prefer Woodcraft, but have Sato and Graves on my current bike. I used to prefer Kawasaki, but I (grudgingly) bought a Suzuki this time around. See the username. That is about it for brand loyalty, though I do do most of my shopping with Costco and Amazon, but we have both Sam's and Costco memberships (can get bagged chopped romaine lettuce from Sam's, for example).

I also prefer to fly in Boeing jets and not Airbuses. And I wear Arai or Shoei. If neither made a lid, I wouldn't ride. I've been riding for over 35 years, and I've seen a lot. I am pretty sure I'm able to draw conclusions, and I can recommend things based on those conclusions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I've been knocked the F out w/ Arai's 7 times.
    Don't know if they helped or not, but Imma keep using them. Trust them 100%....They are a 'known' quality....no guessing.

9. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

Do you have any info or links about more racing based helmet testing?
    I'm in the process of a WERA racing comeback and buying all new gear. The STAR testing looked better than anything else I've seen.

10. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I've worn AGV(1) HJC(1) Arai(4, Quantum-Corsair) & Shoei (3, RF900, X-11 & X-12) & after the impact I took this weekend in turn 2 at Barber, I'm a lifetime Shoei wearer. The back of the helmet was damaged pretty bad & the liner was crushed from the impact but I didn't have the slightest bit of a headache or soreness. I came off the highside of the bike & landed right on the back of my head, the helmet did it's job.

11. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

I've worn almost every major type of helmet on the market and there's a variety of quality, shapes, and thoughts on what makes a "great" helmet. I'm a big fan of the Nexx Helmet brand not because I'm a sponsored racer. I wore the helmet before they sponsored our team and my affinity for the emerging brand (it's a European brand that's been around since '03) lead to pursuing them as a sponsor.

Their helmets are ECE rated (see European helmet ratings). ECE is a different type of rating than Snell which essentially awards the rating to exceptionally rigid shell helmets. As any experienced racer can tell you, no testing can properly simulate the multitude of scenarios one may encounter in a race or street environment. A sudden low-side which may slam the side of your head... A high-side which may drop you on the top of your head from a higher altitude... Tumbling through the dirt and rocks with multiple impacts... A sudden blunt force stop against a wall/curb/tree/etc... Or after a crash being run over by another bike, car, semi.

No single style, construction, or brand can have the best helmet for every occasion. For me, Nexx Helmets provides the safest best fit in my opinion. I've witnessed these helmets save lives, crash tested them myself. There's a lot of opinions out there and everyone is entitled to have one. Personally I would go to testing, fitment, etc

12. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

I don't know call me silly or whatever, but I'm thinking being ran over by a SEMI that the helmet just isn't going to matter much! :eek:

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

I took a high side & landed directly on the left, front side of an Arai Qauntum @ about 60mph, without the slightest of headaches.
    I touched the rear tire of a bike that died in turn one at the start of a race and slammed a Scorpion EXO 400 off the deck really hard with out the slightest of headaches.
    I bounced another Scorpion EXO400 off the deck when I was lucky enough to be the first guy to discover an oiled track, with another bike involved a split second behind me, both riders & bikes colliding.....again, nothing.

IMO, both brands were great!

14. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

went down wearing an Arai almost 10yrs ago and never wore any other brand since...

the RX and Quantum lines fits my big round noggin perfect!!

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You're a sponsored racer for Nexx. That makes your words marketing and makes you PR and not worth as much as someone that is not a spokesperson for a company.

16. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

HJC here. Street, dirt and race. Been very happy with them. Like other's have said, don't get the cheapest model and make sure the helemt fit's your head.

Had a Arai Corsair but they changed them a few years back and they no longer fit.

17. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Scientifically proven at 35mph isn't the same hit as a high side doing 80+ or a lot of hits taken in roadracing.

The deceleration rates differ with the amount of force.

Yes, your brain bouncing around inside is the main issue for sure.

As someone else said a lot of the extra cost is things like air flow and noise levels and visibility from the shields and the like. Those things do matter in racing too so they are important to at least consider.

Fit is absolutely the most important thing. The higher end helmets have more options to get a specific fit than the cheap ones.

Cost is the last thing to factor in no matter what the cheap people want to think. Bitching about a helmet that costs the same as a set or two of tires is just ridiculous.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly I've read so many reports on all the different helmet tests over the years it's all muddled together.

Google helmet testing and start reading. It's actually pretty informative - just realize any time you see a person making a report there is bias in there somewhere. The last reporter I remember pushing the DOT over Snell tests (even though there really is no such thing as DOT testing) has had an axe to grind with Snell for years is one example.

There are other threads here too with a lot of good info.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also no offense Luke but you have a ridiculously tiny amount of experience at this point.