Brake Markers

Discussion in 'General' started by 7-FITTY, Mar 23, 2010.

1. 7-FITTY

7-FITTY Well-Known Member

Is there a set distance to place brake markers approaching a turn or is it random from track to track? Do you fast guys always refer to a specific marker to begin the entry process or use the force?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

As far as I've seen it varies from track to track and turn to turn based on the individual characteristics of each. But, for each turn that I'm familiar with, I have a very specific marker that I judge by.

3. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

not that i am fast or anything :D

first session - your warming up anyway so take note where you get on the gas, and where you get on the brakes. Those are your markers now!

second session - slowly(SLOWLY) start increasing your distance into the braking zone as long as you feel comfy!! Did i say slowly :D - baby steps at first. No Bonehead moves either - SMOOTH!!!

3rd session - granted you don't have a pucker moment the last session your confidence will increase with every lap!

4th and so on - keep riding with a level head and don't try and win the trackday!

Most org's have control riders and coach's for this kind of help to give you the on the track help!

when you get up to YOUR pace thats comfy an u wanna increase braking zones - pick a faster guy in your group and watch where he is starting to brake and so on!

Hope this helps you......

each track is diff and each turn!!!

seat time = confidence

practice, practice, practice :up:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

thanks for asking this question!!

im hitting the track in a few weeks fro the first time ever!!

5. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Get there early, and go for a walk around the track first. Take note of what the land is like off the track if you make a breaking mistake, and need to run off the track

Knowing where you are going and what the enviroment is like is very important

6. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

and making sure your rear brake does work always helps when you have a agricultural moment.....

7. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I think part of your question was not answered. Not sure though.

Markers (if the turn has them) I THINK generally are at 100ft intervals. Never really thought about it, as the distance of them never concerned me really, jsut which one (or several) I am using.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

In the future, you might want to rephrase that.

"Hitting the track" has an entirely different meaning. :Poke:

9. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Weedon't need no brake marker we have instinctive moves

When you move fast on the street/road and it is strange to you, do you look for a brake marker or do you follow your instincts? Follow your instincts. Then all of a sudden there is a brake marker to play with is to pucker the red eye you go deeper and deeper in, like a proctologist.

10. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

having runoff's in your game plan is a life saver...i also spot out physical markers around the track for myself during my first session to get comfortable.

11. vance

vance *

One of the coolest things I've seen yet was all of the fast guys at Road Atlanta GNF going into turn 1. I may be wrong, but standing right there it looked like they were going past the final break marker still on the gas.:wow:

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

i was always taught they are at 300 feet 200 ft and 100 ft.. but them I believe everything I see on the internet

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

wouldnt that be 100ft intervals like I said :Poke: .... although I am not 100% positive that is standard practice, I think it is

And some tracks would be 500-400-300-200-100.

Cant say I have ever seen more than 5 markers though they might exist :confused:

14. It varies from track to track.

15. VIR has six

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

yeah, I just said it more better again for us Jaw Jaw peeps...

17. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

most are there with cars in mind when they were installed

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I was just thinking, if the end of the Roebling Road Straight, and the entry to T10a at Road Atlanta doesnt need 6, does any track really? :crackup:

I cant even recall how many (if any) there are at RA T10a now though :confused:. I used the ARAI sign IIRC, and there were some white stripes on the ground.

19. vance

vance *

1st white stripe, sheer panic, brake....like clockwork for me.:D

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

One day they will move that white stripe, and a bunch of people will be SCREWED :lmao