1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boring.

Discussion in 'General' started by MachineR1, Sep 23, 2013.

1. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The R6 has been basically the same for 8 years and exactly the same for 6 now. I guess it's still working but definitely boring, and sad.

I'm interested to see if what Suzuki does for the next GSX-R1000. I don't think there are any changes for 2014 but maybe next year?

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Their 2014 GSXR 1K 50th anniversary is BNG and polish. I'm thinking there's nothing new on their front either, dammit.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Has Honda released the 2014 bikes yet?

5. Suburbanrancher

Yup. There's a Grom. And BNGs on the Fury.

Holy bejeebus do I hate this economy.

6. Suburbanrancher

Honda needs to bring back the Superhawk with FI and the CBR1K with TC and +25 hp. Oh, and take that sweet 450 motor and make an aluminum framed street-legal motard, Mkaaaay.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Money-wise, yes, it is too much to ask.

8. dtalbott

And the Groms are selling.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Remember the good old days when Jap bikes were revamped every 2 years......good ol' days.

10. dtalbott

Remember the good old days, when people bought all the new models from their local dealers, instead of driving 800 miles to save $200?

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It is what it is.

I mean look at the %age of inflation on the price of a new bike compared to that of a new car. The MSRP on new bikes have jumped up quite a bit in less than 10 years.

12. dtalbott

Especially sport bikes, but that's because they seem to have to totally upgrade every three years or so.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The updates every 2 years was stupid. An arms race where no one won.

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The new FZ-09 is awesome and cheap. The Supersport bikes segment is losing ground to nakeds and adventure touring. This is where the manufacturers are investing their R&D.

15. dtalbott

Because $11,000 600's and $14,500 1000's are a tough sell once the customer prices full coverage insurance.

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

on the "bright side".. my spares bins have been full of useable r6 parts for some time now :) No need to sell off/give away the outdated parts and scramble to re-stock. And for those spares ya do need, they are at least usually readily available for a decent price. Unlike a part that only had a 2 yr production run. Again.. just a "glass half full" perspective.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

That is back when improvements were easy to come by...the bikes are getting to be so refined now that there isn't much more to do for the average street rider, keeping in mind the percentage of bikes sold actually hit the track is very, very small. JMO

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That and the resale of "your" clapped out, smoking pile of motorized monkey shit stays a bit higher. No need to lose as much cash when (and if) you go to sell.

19. Suburbanrancher

The two year cycle was definitely nuts; four year seemed about right.

What's interesting though is how models are getting prioritized nowadays. A buddy who runs a Suzuki dealership was just telling me how they ordered 6 DRZ400sm's this year but only received three - and those sold right away. Now they have a waiting list and none to sell. He also talked about riders wanting to buy standards and 'retros' that are few and far between, and how the more transformer-looking standards haven't been getting the action they expected.

Perhaps the Japanese OEMs should consider bringing back some of the mainstays for a bit - Superhawks, ZRXs, etc. Bikes where the tooling's been paid for and modest updates would make them desirable to the market. Especially when sportbike prices continue to go through the roof while sales drop.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tell me about it, I went up to the suzuki dealership to see if they had a left over DRZ400SM and they guy laughed. Smokin' deals on Hayabusas and GSXRs but he said he sells the SMs faster than he gets them. He gets calls from all over looking for 'em.