1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bombshell New AMA Series!

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I'm thinking.

Or do spec tires per class if you feel it's something that has to happen - keep them all involved and not just one for the whole series.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

This...

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

How many of the bikes racing SBK are actually SBK spec?

How many of the bikes on the DSB grid aren't SS spec?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of the fast ones in both classes. Why?

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Multiple spec tire vendors wouldn't work. It sounds great from a racers' perspective (believe me!), but from a business/tire supplier perspective, where's the benefit if I'm not the sole tire supplier? Where do I make my money? Where are the logistics/infrastructure to ensure special tires aren't being made?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're still selling tires to everyone in one class and get the advertising benefit that goes with that as well as the sales. The cost to be the spec supplier would of course be way less than the entire series and your chance of selling as many as with no spec tire at all is just as high if not a little better depending on your product that season. You'd also have to stock a lot less choices and sizes limiting your expense on the supply and shipping end of things.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Sounds like the one-bike rule and two-day format to me ..

:D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those rules worked at getting more people involved in the series?

9. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

mongo, has WERA had any contact with the motoamerica at this point? any updates on the pro series?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes we have been in touch and as we and they have both been very busy the last week or two no change on anything just yet. Holding pattern for a bit longer.

11. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

well that's great to hear. at least there has been some discussion. good stuff.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Helps that Wayne and Chuck both ran teams that ran with us the last time we did Pro Series so they know Evelyne and WERA pretty well.

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Not really, actually. In 2014, SBK had more entries compared to 2013, one time. DSB, one time. Supersport, three times. Otherwise, 2013 had more entries before those rules were implemented.

Granted, other variables were potentially at play, such as not having a TV deal.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay.... Totally lost as to what that has to do with tires sorry.

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You asked if the one-bike rule and two-day format increased entries. I joked that multiple spec tire suppliers would be similar to those rules - seems good at first, but not really in the end.

With multiple tire vendors, I'm not so sure. Costs go up, ROI goes down for them. Effort to police spec tires goes up. Difficulty in riders switching between classes increases costs, setup time, etc.

Now if we're talking personal agendas, I'm all for it.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahhhh - I asked about getting more people involved in the series, I wasn't thinking riders. I also see no parallel between two obviously dumb rules and something that could bring 2-3 tire oem's into the paddock.

I disagree - cost is down versus a wide open non-spec format as they only have to bring a couple of compounds and sizes. ROI will depend on the health of the series, otherwise you wouldn't have the setup I'm talking about in MotoGP. Bridgestone for GP, Dunlop for Moto2 & Moto3. Riders switching between classes isn't an issue at a pro race that is structured properly, you don't run the same bike in multiple classes.

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The two day format is ridiculous. No practice straight to qualifying?

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It doesn't seem like multi-brand spec tire enforcement would be that much harder than the current enforcement. They are already enforcing that you can't just run any Dunlop, you have to run the tires approved for that round. They already randomly pick tires from the stock of tires, or at least so the rules say. You would just need a a tire picker for each vendor instead of one for Dunlop. Each vendor would to pay a fee that would pay the sanctioning body for their tire picker, which would be much cheaper than what Dunlop was paying to sponsor the series. To keep it on the level, you rotate the tire pickers between the brands (assuming the pickers travel with the series).

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You're underestimating how critical it is to Dunlop to be the spec tire and what they'll spend to retain the rights to continue to do so.

20. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

$$$

If you have 3 brands instead of 1 you just cut the earnings for each by 2/3. At what point does it become a loss to go sell tires and none of them show up?