1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitch took off into the canyon

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Jul 9, 2022.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

She was gone for 15/17 minutes....took off after a coyote, I suspect.
    She's home now but neighbors dog is barking too at 2:04am.

Can a shepherd/chow mix, handle coyotes?
    75lbs and don't even think about shaking my hand.

Thankfully she can't run as fast as a coyote.

Anyone lost a big dog to coyotes?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  2. I haven’t but a neighbor lost a 60-70lb dog a few years back. Forget what kind of overpriced dog it was but know it was not cheap and they found what was left of it a few days later. I do my good deed to help control the “pet” population by permanently spay or neutering all coyotes I can. I even have Blink wire free security cameras (and 12v powered wifi repeaters) that cover about 3.5 acres behind my house. 3 of the cameras I have the two way speaker output tapped into to use a very remote calls for them. I have 16 cameras total out there and usually have phone and iPad going if trying to call them from far where thermal can’t get a good view of them. I’ve got hunting then pretty dialed in for my little area. They haven’t been around for a good 6-7 weeks but when they do come back you have to stay on top of it. You kill just one or two you can break up the pack and just trigger more breeding. Be selective on the ones you shoot, get some good night equipment and it’s a damn challenge but fun. Some nights I’ll just set up on my deck and others I’ll move around a bit to strategic locations. Right now we have a very under harvested deer population so food is plentiful and they don’t have to take the risks.

Steeltoe, Boman Forklift and G 97 like this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Possibly one on one but in most cases the pack will gang up on one dog. I watched my parents Dalmatian go chasing after a coyote so I jumped on the atv and rode after it only to see another three or four coyotes up over the hill at the edge of the field in the woods waiting. No doubt in my mind what would have happened. Fortunately they scare off easily. The dog figured it out as well and ran back to the house and was shaking, she was so scared. LOL.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

For the one you see there are always 3 to 5 that you don't. Unless they are rabid. I wouldn't bet on a single dog coming out on top of the interaction.

Gixxerguy855 and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Coyotes lure their prey in that way. Send out a scout while the pack remains back and hidden. Sneaky little punks...

Never lost a dog (Dont own dogs though) but did loose a cat to them 3 years back.

Oddly enough, since my neighbor got a German Shepard 2 years ago who marks all over the place, the coyotes haven't really been back. We have them around and we are a semi rural neighborhood (2.5-5 acre lots) but I just dont see them much.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We aren’t really rural, but there is a canyon that feeds into the park system wilderness right across the street. So we get coyotes in our neighborhood walking down the street or the hills occasionally.

Our little 11 year old multipoo, was attacked by one. It was about 5-7 years ago. Luckily, I heard him barking when I let him out to go do his business, and I went outside to get him to stop at 4:30 am. I heard something and started running and yelling, then saw the coyote jump right over a 6 ft wall, fortunately he had dropped the dog, which he had in his mouth and was thrashing back and forth.

It tore up our dogs neck and has hurt his back, but he survived. Ever since then, he doesn’t like other dogs or little kids. Anything moving fast like that or small around him, and he wants to bite them.

In the past 6 months he went after a skunk in our back yard and I couldn’t get him stopped before he was sprayed. That was a fun few days at the Linders house. Lolol

Senna likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

At a friends place in Reno Ive seen that at least 3 times.
    Then while visiting someone in ABQ we were walking his 30lb doggie at 10pm... & we saw 1 streak by then not a minute later the ominous howls.
    I asked if he had a firearm... fresh from NYC & oblivious asked "for what??"
    About 6 months later he lost the little fella when a coyote jumped their 4' fence property & attacked him.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Been there done that. It's miserable for several days. Took almost 3 full months to stop getting hints of it when I bathed the one that got hit.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tomato juice/sauce. If it can clean the tarnish off the bottom of Revere Ware, it'll clean the taint of skunk off a dog's ass.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

They pop up on the property now and then. The last one was about six months ago and after shooting his ass I hung him in the woods he walked out of. No real coyote presence since.

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

They are in my yard on daily bases. I don't shoot them.

Attached Files:

jksoft likes this.
  12. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

I have a security video of my cat squaring up against one in my driveway. my cat was cool as a cucumber and after a few encounters he chased it away.

G 97 and Boman Forklift like this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

G 97 likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A chow will kill about anything of similar or smaller size. Mine was very predatory. Against a pack? No chance.

auminer likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yeah I was shocked for how long it smells after each bath

Man, I hate snow, but damn if your yard doesn’t look beautiful covered in that white stuff.

16. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Hope your dog is ok, OP

One coyote? Two? No problem.

But a pack killed my buddy’s MONSTER pit bull.

I’d go looking.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

We had a Keeshond, which is basically a chow, on the farm in the panhandle of TX when I was a kid. Smokey killed a few, but he also knew when to tuck tail and run away. Pops saved his ass on a couple of occasions with the 22 in the gun rack of the farm truck.

ducnut likes this.
  18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

She returned unscathed.

She's so protective and always looking out.
    Coyote's are constantly traversing past the property.

Wee bitch though, just took off, no bark....nada.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Snow makes desert look good :).

YamahaRick and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

A big dog can easily handle a coyote one on one, but that's not the way a lot of coyotes hunt once another coyote is involved and it's usually 3-4 more.. that's when it gets unfortunate.
    I was at a house about 2 months ago out here in the desert and one of the couples there had a dog probably a chow mix I would say about 50 lb? She saw a coyote running out in the distance took off out of a house like a bolt of lightning ran about eighth of a mile through the desert.
    Next thing you know they're chasing each other playing... No s*** playing.
    One of the funniest things I've ever seen.
    I don't know if my "super pug " Guinness would have fared that same camaraderie...
    I watch him like a hawk, coyotes and rattlesnakes are abundant in droves I do my absolute best to keep a constant eye on him when I let him out or if he's hanging out with me.