1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike sitting in garage for months

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SVandST, Mar 8, 2010.

1. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

My bike has been sitting in my garage since a wreck last June. I'm just now fixing it up. Is there anything I should do or need to be careful of before I try to start it up? I never do a thing to my other stuff (lawn mower, snowblower, generator) and I've never had a problem with them after letting them sit for months at a time without starting. FYI, the garage is attached to the house so although it isn't heated it never gets below 40 degrees even when it's zero outside.

I know, shame on me for not taking care of it but I was disgusted after the wreck and never got the urge to go out and work on the damn thing.

2. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

You should probably put the training wheels back on. Maybe put some girly panties on too. You know, something to make yourself feel pretty again.

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

what kind of wreck?

I assume the bike was turning over and/or running when you garaged it(?)

4. SVandST

Girly panties? Nah, I gave them up when I stopped racing SVs. :Poke:

5. SVandST

The starter switch was messed up so I haven't started it since. The wreck wasn't that bad so I highly doubt any engine problems from the wreck. I'm just worried about the effect of it just sitting their over the last nine months.

6. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

throw some sea-foam fuel stabilizer in the tank if the gas has been sitting in there since June

7. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Yeah the fuel is probably garbage by now. If my carb'd Bandit 1200 sits more than a couple months it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders for a few miles until I top off the tank and the new gas mixes in. Since June is a long time though, so it'd be best to drain the tank and fill it with fresh fuel. Although, my fuel injected R6 sat for 5 or 6 months and ran no problem.