Big storm / cold front

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Feb 17, 2021.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Is this a bad time to talk about Texas secession?

2. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

I'm glad I'm not living down there right about now.
    I'm glad I'm not working in an ER down there now either. When the generators go out, then what?

What a mess.

I heard on the radio in WI. that they are having a HUGE spike in CO poisonings now to from people burning various things trying to stay warm. Then there are those who will fire up their gas powered generators- IN doors, and shut the windows and doors- only in TX. I'm a Texan too.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Seems like a good bit of the Texas power supply, both green and fossil fuel driven wasn't properly winterized. Solar will naturally have less generating capacity in the winter, particularly on cloudy & stormy days or when the collectors get covered in ice & snow.

I was a little kid when I learned that a running engine in an enclosed space would kill. Not sure why folks don't know that as adults, particularly with the warnings on the generators, on the news, on the web, etc. Yeah, the generator thing isn't great if you don't have the wiring set up, but you can at least run your cord(s) in through a window and use a rolled up towel or two to insulate around it as best you can. Tape stuff in place to help form a windproof seal. Do that in a room that you can do without then close the door to that room as much as possible (without crushing the cord) and again insulate around with towels / blankets. The room will act as a pretty good insulating layer for the rest of the house.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, can't fight it, might as well enjoy it. I stuck a "Closed to go snowmobiling " sign on the shop last Thursday, did 115 miles in the Adirondacks with a friend, got back in time for dinner. :D

beac83 likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That might work OK until you get to a bridge, overpass, a spot where the shoulder has eroded away or construction.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a big deal unless the idiots have that area blocked, build some speed and slide on through. Or for an over pass just go up and over the hill :D

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You've got some beautiful land around there to play in. I did just over 200km on the weekend around here. Trails were a bit rough in spots, but were pretty good considering the little amount of snow we had to work with. Took both kids on 65km loops (has to be the exact same for each kid....) and they had a blast. It's a great way to "beat" winter.

8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Not for moi !!! MERCI lollll :p

My summer activity doesn't allow me to pick up other activities in winter o_O

Oh... I'm not grumpy, just don't like it.
    I keep busy and not bord :D

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Try ice racing then :D

KneeDragger_c69 and beac83 like this.
  10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sierra Nevada is oddly worse in a bottle. Cans only for that one. :D

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Walked outside in a t-shirt. Didn’t nip out.

Bring on the bikini girls!

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 6.19.46 PM.png

tony 340 likes this.
  13. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

It's a struggle to even follow what's being reported, and trying to make sense of it. Just a colossal failure all around down there. Hope they can get things straightened away before long.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hmmmmm..... my F150 is getting a little long in the tooth. It's a 2003, but only about 110K on the ticker.

Time for a new one?

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL! That would be way more cost effective than a generator...:Poke:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon we are guys that love racing motorcycles......do we ever make cost effective decisions?:D

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ha ha. Well there is that... I am about to head out on a wine run. The old wine fridge looks quite barren after snowpocalypse.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know we met at Austin, but I think you live around there too? Back in 91-92 my wife and I bought a house in Lakeway, looked like I was getting transferred out there, and then it didn't happen, so we rented it and sold about 5 years later.....too bad we didn't keep that place.

Did you guys lose electricity?

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, I live in Round Rock just off of 620. We are really close to the local hospital and I think we are on the same part of the power grid so were never affected. We did run out of Parmigiano Reggiano and were drinking less desireable bottles of wine last night so it was not all sunshine and roses. :D I did have to take the chainsaw and go hunting deadfall for firewood just in case though. I was actually out driving every day. I hate cold weather but like driving on ice and snow. I think I was one of the few having fun.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And I thought you were a str8 bloke.

NTTIAWWT.

Exactly how I plan to pitch it to the missus!! :beer:

(sorry, we don't have pinky-pokin' wine glass tinking emojis round these parts...

[​IMG]