1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big azz hex key...

Discussion in 'General' started by SClark, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Where does one order the big ass hex key (21mm?) needed to remove the front axle of an '03 Suz SV1000?

After 4 years of owning it, I guess I can breakdown and buy one.

2. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

I know Cycle Gear has them, or anyone the sells Motion Pro tools

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I made an adaptor to use a socket which consisted of a bolt with the appropriate size head on it, with a nut pinned on it. About 2 bucks. I think there is a Motion Pro version of essentialy the same thing.

4. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

motion pro axle tool. it has 4 sizes for different bikes. It's not expensive, like $16 or something.

5. breaux

breaux Well-Known Member

I needed an odd size for my SV650 front axle and found it at Auto Zone of all places. They had a 3 pack hex set in odd sizes for automotive brake overhauls. Go figure.

6. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Order it at Sears. Or take a couple 21mm nuts and weld them on to a bolt and use a 21mm socket or vice grips to hold it. That is how I've done my zx12 street bike for years. One side is 17mm the other is huge at least 21mm. Or you can by the multi-sized axle tool from places like Motosport. The possibilities are endless...good luck.

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I bought a coupling nut for those huge threaded tension rods they use in steel buildings bracing. It's the nearly the right size and it's about and 1 1/2" long

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

5/8" X 1 1/2" bolt with two nuts threaded and jammed against each other. I dropped a couple of tack welds in for good measure, but you should be able to get the nuts jammed against each other enough to remove the axle. Just put an open end wrench on the inner nut (with the bolt head in the axle) and you should be fine. This same "tool" also works for taking apart damper rod forks of the 37-41mm variety.

9. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Is it the same size as on a first gen R6? I just use a spark plug socket backward with an extension and it works great.

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Found elsewhere...I take no responsibility for accuracy...just bored and felt like googling

FRONT WHEEL/Swingarm REMOVAL TOOL

Build it yourself…

Price for instructions: FREE

Cost to make tool: Less than $2

Time required: 2 minutes

Time you have to wait for the tool to arrive in the mail: None

Here are the instructions:

1) Get a 24mm (or 1 inch) socket.

2) Drive to the hardware store (go to the bolt department)

3) Find a bolt head that fits in the 24 mm (or 1 inch) socket (this will now fit in your motorcycles bolt). The bolt will cost about 60 cents.

4) Find some nuts that also fit into the 24 mm (or 1 inch) socket. The nuts will cost about 25 cents each.

5) Screw the nuts onto the bolt. You can use 2 or 3 nuts. Tighten them down tight against each other so they bind. Try to keep the nut surfaces lined up (see picture). Use a little lock tite on the threads if you have some. Not required.

6) Your tool is done.

Use:

Always put the bolt head (instead of the nut side) into the nut/bolt on the motorcycle.

11. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

+1:up:

12. upnadam

upnadam Fast x .5

Like dis......

Attached Files:

13. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

+1 on the Motion Pro tool, get the steel instead of aluminum, it's stronger and cheaper.