1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to VIR from Pittsburgh area

Discussion in 'General' started by mtk, May 21, 2002.

1. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Hey everyone,

As the subject says, I'm looking for input on the best way to get to VIR from the Pittsburgh, PA area. I'm thinking of heading down I79 to US Route 19 as a start since I don't want to go anywhere near DC, the Beltway, or anything to do with I95.

Last year, I took I77 to Route 58, but a large section of that is twisty little two-lane road, which I'd rather avoid, if possible.

Any suggestions?

2. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

You could try 70 E to Hagerstown, and go down 81S, not sure if that's faster or not. Probably slower.

3. unoigo

unoigo Well-Known Member

directions

I just got back from Pittsburg last Monday and live about 1 hour north of VIR. I am in Roanoke and it took me 6 1/2 hours from Ellwood City to Roanoke. Basically I went 70/76 to 522 to 81. 81 to 220 which will lead you directly to Danville, VA where VIR is located. If you are pulling a trailer I assume it should take you between 7.5 to 8.5 hours to VIR from Pittsburg depending on how much you are pulling, your driving, and 81 traffic. Hope this helps.

Jacob

4. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

On the way down last year we went out the turnpike to Breezewood and on down 81. On the way home, we came up through WV on 79 and it was shorter. I just can't remember how we went east from 79 to get to Danville. I beleive it was 77 to 58, but I'm not positive, so if anyone knows, chime in.

Oh yeah, the 81 route is much more boring if that means anything to you.

Joe

5. racermojo

racermojo New Member

i drive rom pittsburgH to norfolk a few times and i hate d.c messes me up everytime. and on 95 i saw two wrecks within two miles i was shouting out the window that someone better be dead...oops... when i got to the scene they were still putting out the fire on an overturned car on the side of the road. i dont think anyone died just banged up. anyway i would go out the turnpike to 70 down 522 its kind of like mcknight rd without the traffic. it does have some lights but i think they have sensors and stuff then all highway till about roanoke

6. JoeTassone

Oh yeah, it also kinda depends on what side of the city your coming from. I live about 5 mins. from Exit 7 on the TP, so that route is much more convenient to me.

7. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Route 58 is 2-lane for about an hour from I77. That's the part I'd like to avoid. As I recall, it was like driving through a State Park, complete with tourists doing 20mph down the road. And it was a little tight with a trailer.

I was thinking US Route 58 from Danville to Martinsville. Then US Route 220 from Martinsville to Roanoke. Then I81 South to US Route 460 over to I77 in West Virginia. Read that in reverse for directions to the track, rather than home. :D

I think that might have been the way I went home last year, but I'm not sure. The way I went was a nice drive; all highway, mostly scenic, and about the same time as US Route 58 (or maybe shorter) but I can't recall the route for the life of me. I hate it when that happens. :)

8. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

I live South of the 'burgh, so I79 and I70 are both fairly close to me.

9. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Hey Mike, when are you leaving? I'll be at Jess's place tonight and we are planning on taking off 9ish Wednesday morning.

Don

10. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Don't know yet. I'm going to give the bike a quick bath tonight (to remove the remaining Summit Point momentos) and then work on loading up the trailer and all that rot. I also need to check the wheel bearings on the trailer before I leave. Hopefully I can get it all knocked out this evening and be done by a reasonable hour. If so, I plan on getting rolling whenever I get up and get myself in gear. Somewhere between 6am and noon, most likely. :)

11. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

The "straight" way in

Let me point out to you that you are crossing the Blue Ridge Mountains. Nothing in a 100 mile radius remotely resembles a straight road.

That said, take I-81 to I-64east. I-64 east to exit 99 follow rt. 250 east to rt 151/250 intersection. (bottom of the mountain) turn right onto 151 (south/east?) follot for approx. 6 miles to Rt. 6 east. Left on rt.6E, follow to Rt. 29 south. Rt. 29south to Danville, VA. Take 58 east for 5 minutes.

Although 250, 151, 6, & 29 are 2 & 4 lane highways, you can zip through running 65mph for the most part. DO NOT EXCEED 65mph ON 29 SOUTH. Unless you want to play in Deliverance II-The Sequel. :D

This is the quick/easy despite what the 'L' looks like.

12. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

FWIW, we took I-77 south all the way through WV and Va. We then hit 52 after the border into North Carolina and took that to 421 to 40. That leads into Greensboro, NC. Take 40 to 29 north and it takes you right into Dansville. It is a few extra miles, but it is a ton faster and it is all 4 lane mostly interstate and you can rock down 77 @ 75-80 mph and then the rest of the way you can cruise at least 70 mph. Quicker and less curves.

13. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Well, I ended up taking I77 to Route 460 in WV. Took that over to I81 and took I81 North to I581 and then finally Route 220. Route 220 runs South into Martinsville and then connects to Route 58.

All in all it was a nice drive and a beautiful weekend at a top-shelf facility. Beats workin' every time. :D

14. JoeTassone

I ended up taking Buck's directions and they were great. It took about 7.5 hrs. door to track.
    With a crash in 5 on Sat., it still was a great weekend.

Joe
    PN no longer.