1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way To Drain Your Bike's Water??

Discussion in 'General' started by Hammer-117, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

I haven't even thought about my bike and it having straight water in it. It's been in the teens here at night. What's the best way to get ALL of the water out of the radiator and water pump?

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

take out the drain plug. maybe take the lower hose off. bring the bike in the house

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

If your race bike is not in the house shame on you. The digital temp on my bike hasn't gotten below 13Deg C. [​IMG]

4. Hammer-117

Shame on me then. There are too many steps at every door. And my "office" has been overtaken by my wife. I would sleep with it, but that baffle in there hurts [​IMG]

Seriously (if that's possible) I took the lower hose off and drained it but there has to be more in the water pump. If I run it a little, will that get the rest out?

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

what bike is it?

6. Hammer-117

Bandit 400.....

#545 Keith Palmer

You could replace half of your system's volume with ethylene glycol (or better yet, use propylene glycol - which is a WERA-legal...) to depress the freezing point of your coolant below any possible T you'll ever see in sunny GA.

If you use ethylene glycol, you'll have to flush your system out reeeeeeal good before you refill her with your typical water/Water Wetter mix come the 80F weather in GA (uh - February?)

If you use propylene glycol, you won't have to worry about your system freezing OR have to rinse it out before you race...

See the Evans Cooling web site, specifically their page on "NPG benefits" or AMSOIL's web site for info on propylene glycol as engine coolant.

Also, see earlier stimulating threads on this BBS, such as this one.

8. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I've been using Evans coolant since this year (well, since 2000). It's great not to have to worry about any of that stuff anymore. It's expensive, but well worth the reduction in hassle.

9. Hammer-117

Does Marmo carry some Prop. Glyc. coolant?

10. brownrt

brownrt Well-Known Member

Do you just drain the cooling system and use this stuff, or is there more to it than that?

11. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Don't know: bought directly from Evans.

12. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

It's best to flush it at least once. Drain, fill up with the new stuff, drain again, then fill up for good.

13. Hammer-117

Back to my original post....What's the best way to get all the water out? My radiator does not have a petcok.

14. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Apply air pressure. Do you have access to compressed air?

15. Hammer-117

Yes, I'll try that. Thanks.

16. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Make sure you are looking into the waterpump right before you put the air to it.Ha ha ha ha ha ha [​IMG]

17. Hammer-117

Hey Thanks, Tracee! That's a good idea. I'll be sure to do that. Since we are trading good ideas, Armor-All your slicks right before the race. It looks good and looking good builds confidence [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Hammer-117 (edited 01-05-2001).]

18. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Tracee always told me to use a drill to get the water out of the rad....