1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best product to remove water spots?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 17, 2017.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I have a black truck. What is the best product to remove water spots. I wash and dry it, thenot use a spray and shine and spots are still there,especially on the hood. There not eye popping, but on the hood they are noticeable if you look closely and drives me nuts. Lol

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Put something on your house to filter the water.

3. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I usually only get it when it dries too quickly, but a 50/50 water vinegar mix has worked.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't have crazy hard water, this is more of an dries faster then I can get to it,and the other factor is its black which doesn't help.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

6. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

^this, just don't let it sit on the paint or you can etch the paint and leave marks like bird poop does.

7. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This. You can buy attachments for the hose though so you don't have to filter when you're not washing the vehicle. There are also water conditioner agents that you can add to the water (like the jet dry you put in your dishwasher).

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I had crazy water spots on my old truck due to getting hit with sprinklers that were fed with reclaimed water numerous times here in FL.........and that shit is nasty. Not only does it leave spots, but it will also etch the paint so that no amount of washing, waxing, and elbow grease will do.

In the end, I educated myself on doing a wet-sand/cut/polish with a decent random orbital buffer and I was able to get a showroom luster back. If you are uncomfortable doing so, I would recommend shelling out a couple-hundred bucks and having a reputable detail shop do the same. I doubt they would need to do a wet-sand, as they will likely use a high-speed buffer to do the work, if they know what they are doing.

Here is a "test" spot I taped off and made sure I was doing the correct amount of cutting/polishing that shows just how much etching and grime had accumulated:

DSC_0970.jpg
    Another test spot on the roof:
    DSC_0973.jpg

Here is what the hood looked like before:
    DSC_0958.jpg

And after:
    DSC_0960.jpg

It can be done, but it takes a lot of time and patience if you want to do it right. However, once you get your paint to this level of polish it is MUCH easier to take care of.

BigBird likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet the paint didn't look that good even on the showroom floor :D

NemesisR6 likes this.
  12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Nope, not even close.

13. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

White Vinegar mixed into your soap/wash water will help: The vinegar holds the calcium (spots) in solution. The second (more important) part is to wash it in the shade, & get it wiped down before the water evaporates, leaving those mineral spots
    The higher percentage of vinegar, the quicker you need to get it rinsed off. The acid is hard on the wax/paint. Store bought white Vinegar is about 5%. Pickling Vinegar is about 7.5% Special purpose Vinegar (15%) can be purchased from nurseries.
    If you really want all the wax and grime off, wash with vinegar & common dish soap, and wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol (it dissolves waxes) and wash with the vinegar and dish soap again.
    Don't leave it like that ! Get some wax on it, as the paint is totally unprotected, and any chip or nick in the clear coat will begin to separate from the color coat immediately. Most automotive wash products have wax in solution, but don't count on them for protection.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  14. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

If you can get it in the dishwasher....use Cascade and Jet Dry! :D

BigBird likes this.
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

If you would just drive a crappy beater truck, you wouldn't have to worry about waterspots, or even washing it.

merle4 and assjuice cyrus like this.