1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Meal You've Ever Had

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, May 30, 2024.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Tough question. Most memorable was a filet mignon with peppercorn sauce at a restaurant Hobart Tasmania. I had just spent a few days there and was headed back to the big grey boat. Something about that place and that meal always stuck with me.

Any hot meal after a day of packing elk meat out of the Rockies is a great meal.

CBRRRRR999 and ToofPic like this.
  2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Snapper and Blue Cod that we caught and cooked the evening of a fishing trip in New Zealand. Never tasted anything like it, the next night it was still good but had lost a little of it's flavour.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My lasagna would make your mom realize she has no
    business being in a kitchen.

4. ton

ton Arf!

3 Michelin stars in Florence the week before Mugello.

I’ll never do it again, but what an extraordinary experience.

CBRRRRR999 and Phl218 like this.
  5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

For the Wampanoag tribe, it's the squirrel's penis and
    testicles but the Pennacooks aver that nothing is more
    spiritually enervating than squirrel assholes so I suppose
    it's up for debate. Just cover your bases and go with all
    of the above and the ancients will bless your squirrel
    hunts with abundant success, if for no other reason than
    the entertainment factor.

CBRRRRR999 and 27 like this.
  6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

OK, here are some answers to your game prep questions.
    Squirrel - gets very dry and tough, so it needs to be in sauce or braised. I prefer to have it slow cooked then remove the bones and add BBQ sauce. It is great over rice, as a sandwich or in a tortilla.
    Moose, Caribou or Venison are so lean that they are not very tender except for a few cuts, tenderloin/backstrap. They need to be done either very rare or with liquid. A roast simmered for 4 hours with beer and onions becomes falling apart tender. At that point, I tend to make it into curry, but it also makes a nice meat gravy or enchiladas.
    Rabbit can be much like squirrel, but the old standby of rabbit and dumplings id very hard to beat, but if not overcooked and dried out, bbq on the grill is tasty.
    Braised beaver is good, tastes alot like roast beef. Swan is all dark meat and not very livery tasting, pretty tasty. Porcupine is way too greasy. Goose and duck breast needs to be very rare to be enjoyable for me. I cheat and cut the breast into medallions and fast fry them in butter with some sweet onions. The rest of the bird goes back to nature, cause foxes need to eat to. Ptarmigan and Spruce Grouse breasts fry up and make a nice sandwich.

There is no way to make edible bear or seal. The worst thing I have ever tried to eat is dried seal meat. I tried a very small piece and the longer I chewed it the bigger it seemed to get.

As far as the best meal goes, the Halibut sandwich at the Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage is pretty darn good.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

personally I think it’s a joke… like snipe hunting or something… every time an elder has told me that and I insist they eat the brain they claim they’re not worthy of the special treat… probably tastes horrible… we have quite the ornery funny streak :D

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  8. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

My Mom's Mom's drop noodle chicken soup. They both always made enough for a small army, and the leftovers got better every day. The only time it wasn't good was the time my Mom used Chicken of the Sea. :Puke:

skidooboy and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

A few that come to mind....

-the chef's omakase @ Kabuto in Las Vegas

-the 9-course dinner @ Guy Savoy @ Caesar's in Vegas

-Double-Double Animal Style and fries @ In-N-Out

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Your previous two entries are now suspect... o_O

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Is there not a word for that in the Oxford dictionary?........

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Maternal grandmother is still 2 words... More bigger ones, too.

Mom's mom is way more quicker.

13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Mom².....

BigBird likes this.
  14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

The Best thing that always comes to mind,is my x father in law taking us to the Chattahoochee country club one Sunday.He was a dentist,and could afford it,or I never would have had It. It was a Filet with a sauce,and the tiny breaded onions.I normally would not defile a Filet like that.Man that thing was melt in you're mouth Good! I don't remember the sides but that steak was the best I ever had.They don't repeat menus for some dumbass reason,and I never could find it again.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

OK Colonel :D

16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I was visiting with an Athabaskan elder in the community hall at a potluck dinner one time in the village. We got talking about eating muskrats and he noted that e had eaten them many times in his youth. I asked him if he liked them and he noted that they ate what they had.

17. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Filet and lobster at Sparks Steak House in NYC. Lobster was like 3lbs and the waiter deconstructed it tableside. Nothing but meat and lobster!

Razr likes this.
  18. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

I keep reading this title as 'Best tasting Lay you've ever had'

I can think of several

CBRRRRR999 and 27 like this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The evening after watching the Mugello MotoGP race in 2019, my wife and I went to the local village's sole, but amazing, restaurant.

They had steak Florentine on the menu, but wouldn't serve it to me the night before as they said it was a meal for two.

So we told the server that we'd have an appetizer along with the Florentine to share. But that was a lie - I was claiming that fucker all to myself while my wife ate the appetizer as her main course.

Still the best steak I've had and probably the most memorable meal.

Honorable mentions to the Glen Ellyn Star in CA and Pêche in Palisade, CO.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

my grandparents had a muskrat problem when they dug a pond after moving from the north end of Potowatami area to the south end… that side doesn’t know their heritage like my Tsalagi side but are loosely connected to the tribal things… they were trying to figure out how to get rid of them and grandpa was rigging traps and shooting and anything he could… I called grandma and told her I found a solution for her, she was so relieved and thankful on the phone and continued in person… so happy I’d saved the day for them again :) I barely made it out of the house alive let alone uninjured after handing her the pages of recipes for Muskrat stews and other concoctions… :D she did not find it funny whatsoever

she was the last to go last year after having seven great grandparents as a kid… I miss making her mad at me and everything else about them all

skidooboy and CBRRRRR999 like this.