1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beeb help: Moving to US.

Discussion in 'General' started by Rebel635, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I've seen what the beeb can do, and other than a lot of bullshitting, there is always good info to be found here, so i wanted to reach out and get your opinions.

I currently work for a US company but i'm based in Canada. I've expressed interest in applying for a work permit and moving to US, today higher-ups have given me the green light to start looking into it a bit deeper. As in "we dont mind....but you're gonna have to do all the legwork"

I am a Field Service Technician in the food industry. Our company sells and services food packaging machines. I wont be traveling to an office but i'll be working from my home, just like right now.

They are telling me they are looking to fill a tech position in the Cincinnati area, but all that means is that i need to be withing reasonable driving distance.

So, i know there are a few kanucks who have already gone through this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to apply for work permit, followed by applying for a green card.

Also, how does it work with spouses? Are they eligible to work in US as well?

Any recommendations where within 2 hours of driving of Cinci is a good place to live? No kids, my primary concerns are not in city, i like rural, decent area, Libertarian minded people, outdorsy stuff in the area...

Thanks in advance.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I have no clue but want to wish you the best of luck.

3. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

Wow - do you work for Storopack? If so, give me a call (513) 518-9873

- Nick

Edit: Likely not. But I live in the northern outskirts of Cincinnati and can give you some advice on neighborhoods. Also can point you in the direction of an immigration lawyer that could likely answer your questions.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Libertarian-minded people with out-doorsy stuff sounds like you'll be looking in Kentucky, or one of the more rural areas of Ohio.

If you stay in the Southeast portion of the state, you put yourself in reasonable proximity to West Virginia, which is great for rafting and the like. Good riding roads as well.

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Are you taking Steve K's position?

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Can't help w the legal side but if you need info on the cincy area hut me up anytime. Look east of the city in ohio or northern kentucky. Great riding roads around here and plenty to do. Shit you can even go up to columbus and catch an nhl hockey game when you miss home, of course we have a winning team right here in cincy if you dig minor leagues.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

and the Bengals are doing well and Ohio is on a high with their chosen son Mr. James back..so may not be a bad place afterall

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

LOL. Okay when i said outdorsy, i meant less granola munching hippie stuff and more guns and offroading. lol

Let me describe you my perfect house. Couple of acres of land, smallish 2K sqft house and a huge workshop. I have a mill/lathe/welder/compressor etc and love tinkering and working on/making stuff.

I'd be installing solar panels and windmill for backup. I'd like to live in an area where that wouldnt get people talking and whispering.

Housing prices, taxes, etc are what concerns me about which of the three states i'd like to live in.

As i said, i'd be working from home and traveling to clients when necessary. I get paid the second i get in the vehicle so travel time is not that important. I'd also be flying from Cinci to the rest of USA for work.

I'll PM you guys later when i get some more time.

P.S. I'm not a huge sports fan. In fact i'm most excited about being closer to Indianapolis for the MotoGP's.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Does Kentucky have a state income tax? Im pretty sure Ohio does, not sure about WV either. Good luck.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Plenty of places to ride and shoot around the tri-state area.

Ohio does have income tax.

I got dragged downtown a month or so ago by a couple of assholes, and the city is actually really nice now.

Indy is 90 minutes away.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky airport sucks for direct flights. Delta has pretty much abandoned their hub here and there are only a couple of cheap airlines running a few flights a day. You will have to fly to a hub to go almost anywhere from here.

12. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

Check out Ross, okeana, Harrison. West/north of Cincinnati and more rural. My brother just bought 15 wooded acres with a wood shop (4k sq ft-converting to house) in okeana. 1/2 hour from downtown, even during rush hour.

13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

you will want to get a HB1 to work, it allows you to immigrate and apply for a green card, other lesser types of permits are more temp and don't allow you to immigrate. maybe you will have other types you can get that will allow you to immigrate , I used HB1. it is renewable 2x for a total of 6 yrs - it can be extended when yu apply for a green card. spouses are not allowed to work, they get non work permits to come and stay, but you have to prove you can take care of them etc. they would need to get their own HB1 sponsor from what I understand.

applying for an HB is not very hard, I never did my initial application, my job hired a lawyer, but I did the renewals, extension and a good part of my green card app (the last part). if you don't feel comfortable and are pretty damn sure you know what youre doing, then perhaps get a lawyer.

all of this info is just from what I understand, so don't take it as gospel lol.

14. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

Covington, KY

look around but that's where you'll probably wind up and it's less than 2 hrs from Barnacle Bill's several of the Ashapalt Junkies live in that area. Solar and Wind ? you'll fit right in there. good luck on the move. bill and darethea

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've driven the road from Cincy to Athens, Oh and from what I've seen it's pretty rural. Seems like nice country and you're still close. I'm sure the Cincy guys can give you better advice.

Now if you want to know about Kentucky, fire away! The road from Cincy to Lexington, Ky are pretty rural too.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He took our jerbs! :D

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:D

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, but he will probably spend the money he makes, thereby stimulating the economy. You would just squirrel it away in a mattress, helping no one.:D

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Dobr wanted to reply, but his wife called him a cab...:D