1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BCBS jacking up my rates again.

Discussion in 'General' started by JeffroJ, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Anybody have any luck calling and threatening to change providers? Will this work, or will they just tell me that the rates come from above and they have no involvement with my premium?
    Come April I will be paying nearly double what I was paying 2 years ago, fack!
    I need to shop around, anybody in GA have a great health insurance company that covers racing besides BCBS?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Brian_45

Brian_45 Well-Known Member

My BCBS rate is up almost 20% from last year, but they are still cheaper than I can find elsewhere.

3. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

Mine too!! I wonder why this is???

I have an idea.... :mad:

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

No luck with me. I was with Anthem BCBS, paying over $200 a month for me... just me... I had one doctor's office visit for the year, costing less than $150 total - that's actual, that's not just my part or anything. The full doctor's office bill was $150... My copay was $35, so Anthem either paid $115 or negotiated less... and probably took their time paying that...

A couple of months later, I received a letter saying my insurance would go up to $263 a month in 2011, with no change in benefits. So, I dropped them for Aetna. Similar plan, with a little less coverage - $159 a month.

5. JeffroJ

Does Aetna have anything in their writing about racing?

6. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

We use Starmark for the employees...service and coverage has been good although lab work coverage is poor. Pricing is exceptionally good and more than makes up for the crappy lab work coverage.

7. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I have BCBS through my work. We got a letter in our checks first of the year of the increase, and a form to fill out for them to "shop" for cheaper insurance.

FWIW, i've had nothing but problems, as have my co-workers with getting them to pay when dr visit bills come in

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I received a refund check from BCBS a few months back.
    They said it has part of an escrow account.
    Since then, mine went up from $307 to $350 a month.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

you should always check with your physicians to see if they accept a carrier you're considering switching to. as big as aetna is, a lot of the groups here will not accept them any longer.

10. WhiteKnight01

WhiteKnight01 Racer wahnahbee

Jeffro: You probably won't talk em down by threatening to change. If GA is like KY, then the ins co can't turn you away, but they can make you pay through the nose.

As for Aetna, well....Aetna sucks for lab work coverage. Every time I have lab work done, I end up with a $400 bill. I told my doc to just write the damn scrips, I can't afford the blood work. Unfortunately, Aetna is all I am offered where I work.

As for the rates going up, even with employer provided/offered insurance it will go up some, especially if you are covering more than one person, but not usually $200+ (unless 200+ is what you will be paying and I misread it). Just covering me and my wife with Aetna would cost me about $360, which is about $300 more than I pay now.

11. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

I've been with BCBS for a while now and pay for my own policy. I did receive that refund check as well.

Mine was going up about $75 per month this January and they told me to go online and switch it to the "new" policy which conforms with the newer health care laws, etc.. I got the same policy with a few minor changes that I really didn't care about for the same price I was paying minus another $15 per month.

12. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

I see Dungeon material around the corner/

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I just switched my wife and kids to CoventryONE (in GA)... best rates for the coverage we wanted. Kaiser was going up to over $450/mo, better coverage with CoventryONE is $268/mo. (wife + kids)

14. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Seriously.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I see bannings if people take it there....

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I see dead people.

17. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

Consider how much you would be paying if the insurance company didnt pay the majority of your bill when you get hurt racing motorcycles or random injury...

18. JeffroJ

Having 2 surgeries last season, yeah that would be a lot, but jacking my shit up almost another grand per year sucks! I'm going to call and see what Trev is talkin bout.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait - you used it and are upset about another hundred bucks a month? Mine went up and I've never used my insurance...

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They probably monitor your eating and drinking habits on the BBS and FB.:D