1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber, What are your reference points..!!

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by nupe1911, Jul 16, 2010.

1. nupe1911

nupe1911 Well-Known Member

Ok, here is the deal, was at barber, did track day, had a ball. I got faster as the day went on, I have noticed that when you do 2 days in a row, it really helps, and being in shape. This is what I want to know.

What are your references points when you are on the track? Like turn 1 do you drive straight down to the 1 marker and dump it over, or are you looking at a tree, a patch, Im trying to get a better grasp of the track, help... So what are your reference points turn by turn, Im doing if I had to guess a 1:42 or so, i didnt have my lap timer on, i just wanted to become smooooother first and not worry about timing. All input is greatly appreciated.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Depends a great deal on what your riding. In short, Barber is a pretty flowing track. Reference points are different for everyone. I usually pick out a darker colored piece of pavement, I skid mark, or maybe even just use the brake marker.

For example, at Putnam Park, there is a large tuft of crabgrass that returns every year between the 3/2 brake marker for turn 1.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good one!! At Putnam I just listen for the red limiter, about the 3rd time it activates, time to brake for turn 1 !

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

We'll be there this weekend and I'll transplant that about 100 feet closer to T1:D

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

whats a "red" limiter? :D

6. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Boobies:) always look for them....I always start with the brake markers on a new track brake early then as the session goes on just keep braking and turning points the same. After you get off the track get a pen and paper and write down stuff you remember. Get a stopwatch and close your eyes hit the start button at a point you remember. Follow the track in your mind until you get to the start point again hit stop button. IF you are real fast you need more referance points...real slow than you have to much or just need more time to get the track in your head.