1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

barber motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by twooly, Jul 27, 2004.

1. twooly

twooly Member

2. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

It's all about $$$

I think it's a bunch of crap!
    Barber wants to make the money off the race & have someone else foot the bill for it. Dorna also said previously that they need to improve both the track (runoff) & the facilities (security & POWER). Those ARMCO barriers are too close for 200+ hp GP bikes.

3. corvette95

corvette95 Well-Known Member

Re: It's all about $$$

You should at least know SOMETHING about what you are talking about when replying to a post. MotoGP retains ALL profits from the event except for gate fees, Even if the city of Birmingham contributed their small amount to getting MotoGP to Barber Mr. Barber would still be out of pocket for hosting the event. If it was about the money the man wouldnt have spent 55 million of his own money to build a world class facility. He was also going to foot the bill for about 4 million for additional paddock/garages.

4. gloooo

gloooo Member

For 55 million, you'd think they'd have thought some racers might want some power in the paddock. I know they put a lot of money into that track, and I applaude that, but how could you forget something as simple as that?

5. corvette95

Most pro racers have their own power systems

6. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Barber

Oh, so you're the CFO for BMSP.
    It obviously isn't "world-class" if MGP won't race there.

Let's see, the museum, completely unnecessary for racing.
    Likewise the big building in the paddock. Sculptures around the course? Brand new tires in the tire walls? Helo landing pad?Deduct out the extravagance to see what was actually spent ON THE TRACK.
    You don't make back an investment like this in 1 weekend.
    Ever heard of depreciation or amortizing Mr. CFO?

Expect 50-60k fans @ $50 a head(ticket price)= $2.5-3 MILLION.
    I believe the licence fee is $1.5 mil (that Barber wants the city to pay), now who's in this for the $$?

7. corvette95

You really show your lack of knowledge of facts. The track HAS BEEN approved for MotoGP. There were no issues regarding the track that wasnt not settled. The track was/is approved for MotoGP so you are wrong there. #2 if you were the one needing a landing pad to be airlifted to a trauma center and they didnt have one I bet your family would be the first one complaining after you died. #3 Barber was asking for less than 90,000 per year financial help from the city per year the city refused yet today just the city signed a $250,000 per year contract for an outside PR firm to issue press releases for the city (something that could be done at no charge with a fax machine). #4 Three repaves at his expense to ensure the best possible racing surface. #5 Ever had to shower or use the restroom at Talladega, if so, you would appreciate the facilities at Barber. I bet you find something to complain about if you won the lottery. And also, the track is not financed, it was paid for as it was built for the most part.

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

The word is "Homogulated".

The press release reads like it was either "Zoom Motorsports" or the BMP management that got cold feet and didn't want to risk the money to host the event themselves and wanted to be backed up by the city.

Tis a shame. Barbers has the opportunity to secure a world class reputation and lock in the track as a fixture of World level motorsports. The amount of money an annual MotoGP, and probably WSB and assorted World level car racing will make AMA events look like a WERA weekend (no offense) in comparison.

But instead some other track (Leguna, Homestead, Road America, etc) is going to get it first, and Barber will be that obscure bike museum with a track down somewhere in the SE US...
    :(

9. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

What is not mentioned is the cost of the facility to bring it to safety standards. I had mentioned on this board after the first race about the armco being way to close. I am sure a hefty amount of work would have to be done to fix several areas.

All told, it probably does not make economic sense for anyone involved other than MotoGP to pursue this event.

Marcus

10. Liar Liar

Liar Liar what did you say?

And the whole expense to make it work would have been paid by the tax payers dollars too. Not what I'd call a good plan and the city didn't think it was gonna fly either. Especially since Mr. Barber didn't hold up to his part of the "sears" bldg thang. Just kinda smells bad to me.

11. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Re: The word is "Homogulated".

I should get you to cut my steaks, because you sure as hell did a great job butchering that word!

"Homologate".

There will be a quizz.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  12. corvette95

According to local news the Barber track brought in THIS YEAR over 100 million dollars to the local economy, Barber was asking for less than $90,000 from the taxpayers to cover security and traffic and transportation, sounds like a good deal for the taxpayers. And BTW there was never an agreement for the Sears building, that was thrown in by the corrupt mayor to try to blackmail Barber to get something for nothing because the man has money. Downtown Birmingham where the Sears building is looks like a war zone, it wouldnt matter what they did to the old Sears building, that part of town is "lost".

13. 3wfab

3wfab Mr. Tsongas to you..

Re: Re: The word is "Homogulated".

Daaaaaaamnnnnn :Poke:

"Who let the Sean out WHO WHO WHO WHO"

14. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

It is wired for power...they just didn't bring it up until the garages are built.

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Nope. It sounds like a good deal for the local business taxpayers, the hotels (who will jack their rates for all the people coming in) and restaurants. The average taxpayer will never see the benefit of a MotoGP at Barber.

16. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Your welcome

Thank you, Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the meatloaf...

:rolleyes: