1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber Michelin Women's Race in OCT

Discussion in 'General' started by maidenamerica71, Sep 8, 2009.

1. maidenamerica71

maidenamerica71 expect the unexpected

Anyone have any 'official' news on this race?

Apparently the criteria for the invite for the women's race includes only women who won contingency money during the year. I've never seen, nor heard of six female riders being on the grid for a WERA WSS; therefore, I never ever had a chance to get an invite.

Although a little late in the season to make a differance, I am finding out CCS has been paying winnings regardless of the amount of ladies on the grid this year :up:

.....which would have given me an automatic invite to the race in OCT. :down:

need some clarity on this.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're female and you've been running Michelins then you'll be able to run the class no problem.

3. maidenamerica71

There seems to be a bunch of confusion with this race and poor Bonnie from STT is getting hammered with questions due to Femmoto being 'attached' to this race.

I contacted Michelin-USA Promotions & Marketing a month ago, they sadly knew nothing about this race. Which was alarming.

Are there any links for direct contact to the department in Michelin handling this event?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Michelin isn't real sure what to do with it so I'm handling that end of things. :D

5. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

6. Silo Pete

Oh, and there's a bake off after the woman's race. Make sure you make some good pie for Sean.

;)

7. maidenamerica71

that would explain why MICH said "We don't have a race at Barber this year!"

:wow:

There is a lot of interest in the WSS.
    If there was a way to secure winnings to each race, regardless of no. of riders.....all kind of crazy biatches would come out of the wood work.:beer:

If I can offer to help in the WSS promotions...I'll throw my helmet in to assist...anytime. :D

8. truckstop

truckstop Well-Known Member

9. Silo Pete

How about 'ladies'? Or 'girls'? Or 'WOW (Women of WERA).'?

I'm kidding, but I do see your point.

10. maidenamerica71

Betty Crocker to the Grid

bake off.. (LMAO!) only if the money from the sale attaches itself to the race...

thanks for the event schedule.
    Any rules to follow?

11. Strick

Strick Good to be king

If there is a lot of interest and "all kind of crazy biatches would come out of the wood work" if there was "winnings" then there would be no reason to worry about how many are on the grid.

Seems like there may not be a lot of interest since you are saying there is not enough to actually pay.

12. Silo Pete

94 pings at this post. The interest is high.

;)

13. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

We're talking about women, racing, and PIE.

That's all you need in a thread.

14. maidenamerica71

There is interest, but with CCS paying winnings and WERA isn't...it's been difficult to solicit support. This discrepancy alone hurts the chances of a successful WSS.

Then again, maybe Strick is right. Which doesn't help either... :(

How does Canada pull off such a successful women's series?
    I am sure it didn't start out that way.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WERA has nothing to do with paying or not paying, neither does CCS so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Michelin pays contingency based on their criteria and it's the same for all orgs.

The series will succeed if people choose to run it. If they sit there whining about not getting tire money then it will fail.

16. maidenamerica71

my error in making the generalization on racing orgs. paying out any winnings.

I understand the MICHELIN contingency, but they are paying in CCS races according to the post below.

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=5044

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I saw the post but have no idea what payout they are talking about.

Quite simply - due to the numbers, if you are female and have been running Michelins we'll let you race. That keeps it as simple as possible.

18. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Yeah but will you "pay out" if no one shows up? I mean there needs to be cash on the line to get the women out there to race in a class they needed to have so they didn't have to race against all those big bad men...............racing for cash. ;)

19. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

That is what people said about WERA starting a WSS class. But I have seen no interest at regional rounds. The women that are there either dont want to race it or didnt even know it existed. Even Katie doesn't want to spend $70 to race no one and get nothing back out of the race.

20. maidenamerica71

um, the class was created for addtional revenue and was a genius marketing strategy. Kudos for Mongo on expansion to lower costs. Let's not forget this is a buisness.

as far as racing big bad men....I see the EX# by your name. So, I have to admit...you are right. (just this once tho.) :D