1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back in my day.....

Discussion in 'General' started by rwdfun, Feb 12, 2024.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I remember in the 8th grade we were expecting
    a hurricane to hit in the afternoon (and hurricanes
    are a rarity in New England) so we only had a half
    day of school and got out at noon.

2. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Isn't that how hoarders justify their "inventory"?

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'd kinda like to have the A100 Pick-up, but they are going for stupid money for what they are.

4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

IMG_3713.jpeg

You need one of these made up…

I don’t remember what they’re called but I know where one of the cab over vans like that is rotted back into nature now that has a cool side gate in the bed and the rear tailgate too… can’t remember if it’s a Ford or a Dodge

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Does anyone really give a shit what the mentally ill use to justify being fucking nutbars?

6. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the Mojave desert, around California City I believe. My best friend and I ripping along a washboard road in his Dodge van. Same vintage. Same slant six. Not the window version. Dirtbikes, tools and camping gear all loaded up. At about 45 miles an hour or so the washboard got the upper hand and it starts swapping ends on my buddy. Did his best, but we ended up on the roof, lol. Kicked the windshield out and climbed out.
    What a mess. Passers-by helped floop the thing back on its wheels and we proceeded to finish our weekend of riding, camping and partying.
    Circa 1975-6.
    Couple of lucky 16-17 yearolds! Goodtimes.

TurboBlew, YamahaRick, tl1098 and 4 others like this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think that may have been Corvair based.

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

was the windshield still held in by a rubber seal? I don’t remember when they stopped using the seals and started the glue… I’ve cut hundreds of windshields out of cars and can’t imagine kicking through one that’s glued in solid…

Sounds like a Hunter S Thompson adventure… cool memory

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

no, it’s a regular straight 6 between the seats… don’t make me walk out into the wilderness a few miles and take a pic of it… I’m curious now…

10. pickled egg

Well is it straight up and down or does it look like some schmuck kicked it over in the engine compartment?

[​IMG]

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

wth is a nutbar? Like a payday candy bar? I say nutbag but have never heard nutbar… reminds me of a bunch of nut lovers sitting around ordering pistachios and different kinds of walnuts, cashews, and pine nuts :)

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  12. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was a gasket. It was easy to kick out, because as you could imagine the window opening wasn't exactly in it original configuration :crackup:.
    Always wanted the truck version. We talked about cutting his up and making a truck out of it on the drive home.
    We were all excited about it. His dad's and my dad's reaction when we got home was less enthusiastic.:crackup:

Maybe the old memory is why I built this to pull behind the MH.
    20240205_173951.jpg

TurboBlew, CBRRRRR999 and 27 like this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

man… I’ll walk out there… I think it was vertical… I haven’t seen it in 30 years… it was sunken and rotting up to the running boards then…

14. pickled egg

Take some food with, Squatting Bear…don’t need you hallucinating that it actually has a boxer motor in it. :D

tl1098 and 27 like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I actually get this part of the changes and it's not the Superintendents but the parents and it makes sense. You can't leave 11 year olds at home alone all day or even worse watching younger kids. People freak out over it so the parents need more time to make arrangements for them.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I got lucky, finally got into boy scouts and saved up for some good waterproof hiking boots.

Once a Wanker.. and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

18. Ken Roberts

Ken Roberts Active Member

was the windshield still held in by a rubber seal? I don’t remember when they stopped using the seals and started the glue… I’ve cut hundreds of windshields out of cars and can’t imagine kicking through one that’s glued in solid…

Urethane became prominent with the addition of airbags. No airbags, gasket set, for the most part.

19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

You've clearly never had kids who weren't old enough to stay home by themselves and a job that could easily be complicated by a last minute requirement to stay home with your kids.

FWIW, I'm not in that situation either. My wife is an assistant principal so it's easy for us; if the kid is out of school so is she. But I have plenty of people who work with or for me that aren't in such convenient situation. The whole reason they started doing it based on forecast is to provide ample time to sort out childcare.

I do agree about educators and their attitude towards it all.

20. pickled egg

THE WORLD IS ENDING!

35 days before the first day of spring, we have snow enough that you need a tape measure to document its depth!

We’ve sextupled our winter snowfall in ONE DAY!

I hope I have enough bread and milk to ride out this catastrophe…

Attached Files:

Bugslayer likes this.