1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn: Red Fox Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by thiam1, Feb 13, 2001.

1. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Captain,

I just had an argument in a classroom with my professor and a dozen students as we discussed Boeing vs. Airbus. To make a long story short, they were trying to argue that the reason it makes sense to have an all-boeing or all-airbus fleet is that you stock fewer parts and use the same mechanics on all. I argued that a B737 is probably as different from a A340 as it is from a B747. So I concluded that it makes no sense to mix A320 and B737 (or B747 and A340), but that it wouldn't necessarily be bad to won big Airbus/small Boeing or small Airbus/big boeing.

What do you think? Please give me something I can take back to them and have the final word.

2. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I was getting dropped off the front page. Need to catch his eye...

3. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Papa
    I am not an A/P mechanic but I help a friend study for his tests and know a little.

As you suggested parts interchangeabilty is not real great between different models but procedures are similar by manufacturer. Basically they route things similarly and use common equipment from plane to plane and it is easier to take training from one plane and apply to another by same manufacturer. Even within the 737 line there are many variations from the 100 to ?geez I don't remember but intervals and oil types remain pretty constant.

Uh by the way airbuses are more fly by wire (computer controlled) than some of the older designs still made by Boeing that are direct control.

So depending on if you are using the small planes at small airports that big planes don't fly to, then it might make more sense since the mechanics are only going to be dealing with one type of plane. If you have different types of planes all working out of same airports then you need to have fairly large fleet to justify all the differnt mechanics and specialized training for each model.

Look at SW they run all 737. Just add more flights to busy routes and fly partially loaded on others because costs are so reduced by having one type plane.

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Thanks, Eric.
    I was looking more from the standpoint of airlines that operate on both long and short routes. SW is pretty much constrained to short hops with quick turnarounds. But a United or American clearly needs both large and smaller aircraft. Under that assumption, would that airline disregard incentives such as reduced prices, favorable financing terms or other non-monetary sweeteners just so they can have all-Boeing or all-Airbus fleets?

5. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Thiam1, this could be complicated.....An all Boeing or Airbus fleet could save you $ if the make up were 777-200,300 as your large aircraft, 767-400,300 757-200,300 as medium and 737-600,700,800 as small. The parts issue doesn't apply between the different aircraft, 777,767-757,737 but between each model of the aircraft 737-600,700,800. Less parts to keep in stock. The training issue saves alot of time and money. The cockpit layouts of all the new generation boeings and airbus are very similar therefore, the training cost of the crew is less because it takes less time to train someone who is already familar. Also similar designed systems make it easier for the mechanics to transition from one type of aircraft to another. Haveing the different models of the same aircraft allows marketing to match capacity to a cities requirement. The biggy is price per copy. If you sign a deal to be exclusive to one supplier they give you a better deal on the aircraft.(large airline only, I think..) This is a very basic explanation if you need more let me know and we can talk on the land line.

6. Red Fox Racing

Thiam1 are you going to Roebling in March?

7. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

There is an outside I might get down to Roebling, but it's unlikely. I probably won't hit southeast races until mid summer.

Regarding the fleet question, I understand the arguments you made, but when I brought up my objection in class, my point was that the logic doesn't apply in all instances. I used the 737 & 747 as my example because I hoped they were different enough (regardly of which version) to prove my point. Maybe they aren't. Anyway, I didn't want the clutter the board with this stuff, but I couldn't reach you by e-mail. Shoot me a message sometime at [email protected]

8. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

What RedFox says is true. I work in aviation mtc at Hartsfield and help oversee the mtc program for Delta's different fleets. The B757/767 is very similiar and the crews are interchangeable. Except for the mtc on ETOPS a/c which certain items must have signoff by ETOPS certified mechanics. The B737-200/300s are similar (different engines) but the B737-400 is newer generation and has different mtc than its predecessors. The parts that would be similiar for most all of the newer a/c would be the FDR & FVR and possibly some rafts, vests. The big savings is indeed in the contract with the manufacturer for parts and the savings from training crew and mechanics.

9. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Cool, thanks for the info.
    I knew about the similarities between the 767 and 757. But does any of this hold between a 747 and 737? Oh well, I guess I won't be winning that class discussion.

10. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

We dont fly 747s but I would think that,no there would be no similarities unless it was a newer generation 737/747 and could swap out maybe a couple cockpit "boxes".

11. Red Fox Racing

wera688 do you know if the parts department is open on tuesday? I need to pick up some inflatable wheels for the tool chest do to the soft pits here in the south....(TOC parts dept.)