1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AR Triggers

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Nov 26, 2021.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I like Timney personally, however most of the brands are great.

Since I've been building ARs for 15 years ish, Timney was the first and Ive always been super happy with the feel and how good their customer service is.

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Just wait. Johnny Glocks is doing something in collaboration with Timney right now. I’ve felt a prototype. It’s fricken amazing.

3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Yep. He fucked a lot of people when he sold off aac and allowed it to go to shit. Warranties went from a week to a year or two overnight.

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

thanks tool bags! another 100 bux I didnt need to spend. :D Just bought a Larue MBT-S, to mate to my 18" Stealth upper, I have had for years. wife bought me a Ruger American in .350 legend last week, shot it, and went back down the rabbit hole. missed shooting A LOT, I found out. Now I need to figure out how to get the Magpul Hunter stock on the Ruger. it takes AICS mags but, it doesnt appear people are having good luck, getting any of the current offerings to feed in the bolt gun. maybe some of you beebers have the technology to make it work. Ski

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So since were talking about triggers, I’ll take this moment to ask about Timneys. I’ve seen them used a lot in the competition world and the general consensus seems to be they have some of the lightest pulls and best breaks money can buy but the trade off is slightly higher risk of light primer strikes, hence why they’re used more in comps but the geisseles are used more in combat weapons (in addition to I assume reduced risk of an ND with the geissele).

Anyone here run both extensively and able to provide some insight to this? Never even squeezed a Timney myself. Found Geissele when building my first home defense rifle years ago and have stuck almost exclusively with them with the exception of one BCM single stage.

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’ve got a few timneys and have never had a light primer hit. I’ve shot all types of military surplus, cheaper brand and high end. Never a failure to fire. Unfortunately I’ve never owned a geissele but have shot a few guns with them and they are nice.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Just curious where you heard or how you found this stat?

8. redtailracing

Just more a general observation but very well could be wrong. Seen plenty of SF guys, contractors, and vets talk about running geisseles in combat when able and in their personal combat guns but haven’t really heard of Timney being used by the same guys. But in researching competitions (something I’d like to do very soon), Timney might be the name I see most. Like I said, just my perception. No data and could very easily be wrong.

socalrider likes this.
  9. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

That may have more to do than the fact that Geissele offers a full auto trigger, and I do not think timney does.

10. redtailracing

Ya know there may be something to that :crackup:

wsmc 589 likes this.
  11. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I've got a bunch of Geissele triggers. Never paid even close to retail for two I bought new. Also have 4 four, I think, I got free. I can't say their 2-stage triggers are any better than the RRA national match 2-stage triggers I have. In a blind test I don't think I could say which is which.

5axis likes this.
  12. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Lots of good deals available and I do appreciate everybody’s input, very valuable information.

I am going to wait until I get some rounds down range before I upgrade the trigger.

I want to evaluate accuracy with the stock trigger with numerous brands of ammunition including some steel case. Later I’ll do the trigger, later again I’ll upgrade the barrel with a matched BCG.

Clay and Quicktoy like this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Once you make the switch, you’ll be surprised at the amount of “slop” that you lose with the upgraded trigger.

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  14. lizard84

I certain of that, Ive upgraded triggers on my CZ and a glock 20 and had an awesome trigger on a MPA. The double set trigger when set on my 1874 45-70 is unbelievable. I just want to document the changes to the build incrementally and how it reacts to those changes at the range.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

What'd you put in your Glock 20?

16. lizard84

That was a Ghost 3.5 Ultimate kit.

17. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

Geissele select fire version of the SSA-E is 100% in use by many military units. Thats the beauty of the Geissele and Larue. They use full power springs. You will never have to worry about a G trigger lighting a hard surplus primer.

18. lizard84

BCG and rear sight arrived yesterday, trigger while heavy actually feels pretty good. As I said before I want to document the progression of this build. The plan is to take it to the range this or next weekend for sighting in with open sights and stock A2 flash hider. After that I’ll install a precision armament m4-72 severe-duty compensator which arrives today, the neighbors on either side of the bench are going to love that thing!

RonR likes this.
  19. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Yeah that brake is the best!
    It’ll also keep you warm. EB2D03A2-2B9A-43A7-8A40-B3386D47021B.jpg

jasonhise and lizard84 like this.
  20. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Laughs in Ultradyne Apollo Max...
    [​IMG]

lizard84 likes this.