1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS50 / YZ80

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by UngaWunga, Oct 11, 2010.

1. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Well-Known Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Selling it to open a little space in the garage and concentrate on other projects. Its a 2000-ish Aprilia RS50 that has a 1997 YZ80 motor in it. Pretty quick bike. Easier to get power out of the YZ motor than the Minarelli AM6 motors. I do have a title for it, but all the stock wiring is gone. This is all safetywired and ready to race.

Airtech fiberglass fairing, carbon-fiber front fender.
    Tannermatic seat. You can lift the bike by the seat. Light and strong.

I moved the radiator out from under the seat and up front now that it has a FMF SST expansion chamber that Rosko sliced/diced for me. Has stiffer springs front/rear, and 17" wheels.

It does need some jetting work. The pilot and main are good, but it needs a leaner needle jet to run perfect with the FMF pipe. I'll include the old pipe, but it's only really good as a doorstop.

Located in NH
    $1500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/FONT]

2. UngaWunga

Here's my response to the questions I've recieved:

Here's a link to the Aprilia forum with a bunch of pictures from when I was building it. Not everything is detailed, but you can see how things were mounted.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168472

Rim widths... I'll go look later, but 125GP slicks fit perfectly.

I've updated a bunch of things since the pictures posted on the Aprilia forum. The radiator has been moved back to the front now that the new pipe makes room for it.

Problems: The jetting is way too rich in the midrange. This is because I'm using the stock YZ80 roundslide carburetor without an airbox. The stock yz80 carb is Yamaha specific, and only has three needle jets available to it. Stock is the middle of the three. These are the part numbers for the needle jets:

3R1-14141-52-00 NOZZLE, MAIN STD
    3R1-14141-54-00 NOZZLE, MAIN AP
    3R1-14141-50-00 NOZZLE, MAIN AP

52-00 is the stock one. 50-00 is leaner, 54-00 richer.

I do have the needle jet in another bike, and will try to swap them out when I get a chance to see if it works. If it doesn't make it lean enough, it will need a new carb. One from a 2002+ YZ85 will work great, as it's a Keihin flatslide. Cheap off of ebay.

The bike has been converted to 428 chain and sprockets, and I do have two rear 428 sprockets for it.

I just haven't had the time to tune it properly since I got the new FMF SST pipe. I also want to use the money on other projects.

Let me know if you need more info.

3. erichsoncycles

erichsoncycles Well-Known Member

still have the bike??

4. UngaWunga

Yup. Send me an email if interested. I don't check the forum too often. Thanks.

5. UngaWunga

Ok, time to move this along. $1300.

6. UngaWunga

Sold. Thanks.