1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone own a Frank Thomas suit and go down in it?

Discussion in 'General' started by boxcrash, Jun 23, 2009.

1. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

So Frank Thomas suits, Velocita or Xti, anyone know anything about these?

Also please, before you hammer my thread with "you stupid idiot tard comments" I know you get what you pay for, they are cheap, and I might spontaneously combust in one and if I cared about my life or body I should buy the most expensive thing I can find.

Anyone crash in one of these and how did it hold up?
    Also what about normal use, fall apart, etc.?

Thanks for any info. :)

2. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

Frank Thomas = Junk

I had a simple 30mph lowside, and it ripped the stitching right apart on both the jacket and leg. Spend a little bit more and buy the alpinestars gear.

3. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

I have the motoboss which is the same as the FT. Made by the same company. Ive had 3 crashes in them and just this last one at JGP you can see alittle scuff in the elbow and butt area. But it didnt break thru at all and I barely had any road rash thru them and Ive seen my kid with road rash from his Alpines and the leathers were also barely scuffed. So for a fixxed budget I dont think they are bad. Ive had mine since 06. Cost me 159.00 bucks. They arent the greatest looking though and alittle baggy. But oh well. Just my 2cents. But he is right the Alpines are the best. I wouldnt let my son ride in the cheapers. Kinda sticking to the rule of getting what you pay for when it comes to my kids safety.

4. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Dang, $159? Wow sign me up :)

Heard that. :)

Cool thanks so far guys.

5. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

I have, it was a 2 piece suit, 1 crash, suit was pretty much trashed... 360 zipper screwed, so many holes it wasn't even funny, but I will say I had no road rash, so it did it's purpose.

Was about a 40mph crash and slid across maybe 10 ft of pavement

:down:

6. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

same thing, went down at about 30 but it held up alright. I mean it was at a low speed and I only went like 20 yards on my butt. No broken stiches and it of course did its job, but I wouldnt trust it too much in anything too violent....

7. Andrewf125

Andrewf125 Well-Known Member

I crashed in my Frank Thomas XTI suit 3 times (all on my left side) and it has held up pretty well. Two times were at 35 mph and one was around 60 mph. The 60 mph did open a couple of holes, but the integrity of the suit is still intact.

The finish of the suit isnt that great...like the velcro starts getting frothy and some parts of the threading is coming apart.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  8. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

My friend Mr. Bosch crashed in his a million times when he first started and it held up pretty good, as in he never bled.

9. erictrainer

erictrainer Well-Known Member

I have a 1piece and held up just fine. Survived a high side and a low side...nothing too spectacular but it never ripped anywhere. I can tell you that mine was like an 07 model...I'm pretty sure the 08 and 09 changed models and the leather didn't look the same...so they might have changed something. The one I had worked perfectly, my only gripe was that it def fit baggy, that is the only reason why I changed it. I think it was worth every penny of the $400 I paid for it back when.

10. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

my brother lowsides at cmp in his Frank thomas 1 pc. the model under the xti. Shredded the stretch panel on the back of the leg resulting in some rash. I lowsided same turn in my teknic and i didnt have anything torn or ripped up.

there stretch panel was ill placed compared to where my teknic ends.

needless to say hes on the market for a new suit

11. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Had a friend highside at about 50mph at Daytona. Had Frank Thomas suit, gloves and boots. Everything was destroyed. The zippers on the suit and boots were ripped off. Total shit!!!!

12. JohnC

JohnC Enormous Member

I took a 60-70mph lowside at Jennings in a FT suit, nothing but scuffs. Suit still quite useable.

13. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

guy got hit from behind last weekend at NJMP thunder onthe straight and he slid a little ways and his suit was demolished as were his gloves!

JUNK!!!

14. Echoracing24

Echoracing24 Well-Known Member

I guess I am the only one with a good experience with them. I have owned two sets, I am not sure of the model or name of them, but they are Frank Thomas. I crashed in my first set five times, two highsides the rest lowsides. The last time I crashed the stitching in the butt started coming loose. I repaired them they are my rain leathers now. I have a different style now, I am not happy with the fit, but I have crashed in the new set twice and they held up fine besides my butt getting warm. The color dye leaks on my skin sometimes. And that is a total of 400 dollars for both sets.

15. GixxerRacer371

GixxerRacer371 Well-Known Member

my last highside in a FT at about 70 mph and I counted 7 blown out seams and I believe 4 holes. multiple abraisions on my arms from the leathers chaffing them.... a deap hole in my elbow the size of a dime.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

You guys aren't really trying to compare leather strength on different suits on different riders crashing at different locations are you? :D

That's as bad as trying to compare the quality of helmets on different riders crashing on different tracks. ;)

17. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Sounds like a Frank Thomas is a great suit and great value. ........ It will keep you from crashing knowing what the results might be which will save you on bike repairs also.:down:

18. SPEKTRE76

SPEKTRE76 Well-Known Member

Buy a TEKNIC Violator Vr-II. I went down in that at about 70mph. NOTHING was wrong with the suit. All I got was some rub'd off skin on my forearm. It was maybe a .01 layer too, LOL. No seams were busted and no tearing. I also was wearing the TEKNIC Speedstar gloves. They have pink and scaphoid prtection. My boot were also Speedstars.

:up:

19. lrrs311

lrrs311 r6racer311

A guy pitted next to me at jgp,crashed in a frank thomas suit,and the suit opened up on him. It was the suits 1st crash,and he had some good road rash on him. No good...

20. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

I crashed twice in Kobe Carbonstar suits from Marietta Motorsports. One at over 100 mph, majority of the slide on pavement, and one at about 60 mph, mostly pavement. Elbow rubbed through at 100 and nothing through at 60.