1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone make a warranty or damage claim with Yakima racks?

Discussion in 'General' started by TurboBlew, Apr 14, 2018.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

On my way to ride this morning... the wheel strap broke completely out of its housing and the bike came loose from the wheel tray & managed to low side at 60 mph. The rack is less than 5 years old... no degradation or issues. My 29er is totaled though. :( Swingarm is junk, handlebars broke, etc. Has anyone filed a claim for damaged property through Yakima due to a rack failure?

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Bummer, sorry to hear about that. You sure would expect them to last much longer, since that is a quality brand.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

4. TurboBlew

5. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Holy fuck that sucks. I doubt they'll pay and the warranty specifically states they aren't liable, but man be relentless and you have my sympathy!!!

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Weather takes a toll on those rubber straps. I've had numerous experiences with customers having similar issues.
    Sorry to hear about this. I tell my customers to check them thoroughly every time they use them.

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

this post is totally not to rub salt in your wounds, sorry about your bike brosef... but next time, 1Up Rack. destroys any of the others and no plastic or rubber in the entire thing, its worth the little extra. that sucks.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I was going to call out the 1up as well. Those Yakimas should still hold up, but I bought the 1up after seeing one in person.
    Nothing else is in the same league.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

thats the thing... usually check em once a week. Checked them yesterday. The whole pull cleat came out with the rivet still intact. :(

10. TurboBlew

ya it sucks when you look in the rear view and dont see your bike...

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's fucked. I prefer Saris and Thule.

12. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Any luck?

13. TurboBlew

Ive been trading emails with Yakima. I called my vehicle insurer and I some coverage there after a $250 deductible. Not as bleak as I thought. Still kind of bummed.