1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have contacts a Honda?

Discussion in 'General' started by cincigp, Oct 19, 2022.

1. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I am looking for a little help from anyone that works at or has a contact at Honda. I am planning to import an RS125 from Canada, and I am going to need a letter from Honda stating that it was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle. If anyone here can help me out with that or can point me to someone that can I would certainly appreciate it!

2. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

When I sought to import a Yamaha race bike from Canada I contacted Yamaha North America Government Relations for the letter you reference. I suggest you seek out contact info for Honda N.A. Government Relations Dept. Get a phone number, give them a call; my guess is they will know exactly what you're looking for and be able to assist you.

BigBird likes this.
  3. cincigp

Thanks for the help. Did you complete the process? It looks somewhat straight forward for a GP bike if you can get the letter from the manufacturer and the EPA exemption.

4. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.
  5. cincigp

Well, here is where things are going to get tricky. I heard back from American Honda and they were very clear they aren't going to help me. I suspect this has something to do with the GP bikes being sold by HRC. Does anyone have a contact at HRC that may be able to help with this? I haven't found any HRC contact info yet.

6. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Should have bought a Yamaha bro.

[​IMG]

8. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Have them disassemble the bike, and ship it over in 3-4 boxes/shipments as motorcycle parts.

Only half joking.

Banditracer likes this.
  9. matt2491

matt2491 Well-Known Member

Just drive across the border and bring it back. You were at a track day.

dtalbott, ClemsonsR6 and Banditracer like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I think I remember guys...maybe Chris Ulrich in RRW article...back in the day flying to Japan, getting a new 125 and taking it apart and bringing to the US as checked bags. Since you dont need to street plate it you dont need any "official" import crap for the DMV.

Skip the HRC letter and go get it in pieces. No need to tell DOT, EPA and CBP anything.

11. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember taking Al Hall's RS125 apart and putting in a 2 suitcases back when he ran one. I would also reach out to Stewart Aitken-Cade with USGPRU. I know he knows exactly how to do it and would not be surprised if he did not have the paperwork already.

12. cincigp

I hadn't thought of instagram DM. I may try that.

I certainly have thought about just driving over the border with it, or taking it apart, or having it shipped. However, although unlikely, if I run into the one CBP officer that starts to ask questions it could get very unpleasant very quickly. I have the time to get the paperwork sorted to do it legally, so for now, that is the path I am trying to take.

I know Stu, and will reach out to him as a last resort. I don't exactly feel comfortable going to him asking him for help importing a bike when he has the same make and model advertised for sale in the US already.

I reached out to Honda Japan, and also sent the DOT a copy of the 04 manual which states very clearly on the inside cover that the bike is for racing use only. A logical person would look at that and think it should fulfill the requirement, but logic doesn't always apply when dealing with these agencies.

Assuming I do get the two approvals needed, I will post up what worked to help anyone else importing a GP bike.

BigBird likes this.
  13. cincigp

@YamahaRick, if I could afford a TZ250 I would definitely be getting one instead. For now I can only dream, and ride my 125s.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022