1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone an expert on old cameras?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I inherited my grandfathers cameras some 20 years ago, and they've been sitting at my mom's house. She sent them back with me the other day, and are now residing in my attic.

Hate to sell something like that, but also don't have a passion for photography so I can't see displaying them etc. They really don't have any model numbers on them, so there isn't much to Google.

Anyone an expert? I can take a picture with my phone, that's about it.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Post pictures

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Post some pics and hopefully someone here can give you a general idea.

Do not expect big $$$ for them. Most were mass produced to the point where survivors are still plentiful.

A quick check on eBay for identical units is an easy first step. Do a search for completed sales.

There is a store in Atlanta that buys cameras - I sold most of my dad's stuff there when my father passed away 15 years ago. In some ways I regret it, as having the opportunity to display them now would be great. It was a big part of his entire life. And luckily, I still have some of the pics. Like this one, taken at Fort Bragg, NC, in the late 50's.

upload_2021-11-7_0-3-49.png

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

That's an awesome pic Rick!

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If it/they says Hasselblad I'm in!

khill likes this.
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

Lots of German and soviet Era stuff can pull a few bucks. Format lenses and bodies all have thier followers too. Some of the simple point and shoot cameras can be hard to find now though.

And Leica is where it's at..:)

7. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

I got rid of all my LPs because everything went digital— now it’s the thing to have!.. save em for your kids..

8. zitoune

zitoune Active Member

Actually, film is cool again, same as LPs.

Depending on what the OP gets, they might be worth some money. Medium format Pentax, Leica, HasselBlad, Mamiya are all sought after. Condition is important.

I'd try to sell them on eBay rather than an actual shop.

9. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

yep

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Post a couple pics up of each one.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

KEH.com is the store here in Atlanta.

Honestly, some old stuff is just considered garbage if it's consumer grade. BUT there are a few consumer grade items that could be worth some money. If they are twin lens reflex (you look down through the top of the camera) they could be worth some money. Some older Nikon stuff could be valuable. Not sure of Canon unless it's prosumer or pro grade.

Labels to look for: Leica, Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Mamiya, Linhof, Yashica, Nikon, Zeiss, Zeiss Jena, Canon, anything that says 120/220 on it, lenses that are solid gray, have a red stripe or a gold stripe towards the end of the lens, and so on.

As said previously, post pics.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Here are some crappy pix - can post some better ones tomorrow.
    IMG_4438.JPG IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4438.JPG IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4440.JPG IMG_4441.JPG IMG_4442.JPG IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5079.JPG IMG_5080.JPG
    Thanks to everyone for their input.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

The big grey thing with the red bellows looks like a photo enlarger (that you'd use to take negatives, and make prints/'positives' with). I've no clue about what that specific enlarger came with, but it likely would need a tray/holder for photo paper and a base to hold the whole thing upright. I don't think there's any reason to keep it for sentimental value, and if you wanted a more modern functional enlarger, they can be had for fairly cheap.

The two cameras (Voightlander and Ernemann) could be neat keepsakes to display on a shelf, or sell if they're worth anything. I cant tell much detail from these pictures, but if you start googling you can hopefully find identifying features to compare and positively ID.

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I remember my Dad having a Voightlander just like that one, he "liberated" it from a house in Germany during his continental jaunt in the early 1940's. I took it to school when we covered photography in physics and we took some photos with it that didn't come out too well, we found a pinhole in the bellows and it just became an ornament after that.

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

16. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Man. I have no idea. My grandfather was probably born in the 1920s, so I'd imagine 40s or 50s?

speedluvn likes this.
  17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There's probably a hipster film photography forum somewhere on the internet that would love these.

noles19, zitoune and Banditracer like this.
  18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member