1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

Most Ti watches are made from Grade 2 Ti, it's less expensive than grade 5, and softer than the 316L or 904L in the stainless, 316L SS is very high grade SS with really great corrosion resistance, but is soft. Many marine applications use this grade, like high end boat stuff. It's stronger than regular 316. 904L is a bit stronger and harder to scratch hence the reason Rolex went down that road. Brequet uses Grade 5 Ti. This is actually harder than the 316L and 904L and less prone to scratching and can self heal and can be polished more than grade 2, so if you get a good Ti watch using grade 5 it should wear better than your average SS watch. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms uses Grade 23 and that should be harder and more scratch resistant but a very small fraction than a Grade 5 watch. The trick to Ti watches is all in the grade of TI. So if you get a Ti watch ask the grade of Ti, if it is Grade 2 then I agree stay away, it will scratch like butter, not heal itself and look worse than your average Walmart watch in a couple of months. If you get a good Grade 5 it will withstand the abuse better than your average SS watch. Now I am not sure if the Brequet's and the Blancpain's are using some High Zoot SS grade for thier watches I have not done that research because I do not like SS

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  2. Critter

Critter Registered

upload_2024-4-2_18-45-18.png
    Picking this one up this week

Phl218, Jedb, KCFirebolt and 2 others like this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Speaking of Blancpain, anyone pick up any of the swatch colab fifty fathoms? I’ve always loved the look of the original but at that price would be a great knock around watch. I’ve just never seen one in a store.

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Saw a bunch when in Milan.
    Bezels were cool (specifically the bezel inserts) but I was not a fan of the case.
    Came across as someone took a very fine lathe or laser cutter to a hockey puck to make the case.

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Bummer. I don't love the color options of them but wondered how they were in person. I just can't believe how much they cost for the real deal though. I'd love a vintage one but that is out of my tax bracket.

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The Swatch(s) are not knock around watches. They are fragile pieces of plastic. I have a bunch of the Moonswatch models, but haven’t bought any others.

7. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

I find it weird that the crystal on these is acrylic, but the display back is sapphire (ostensibly to prevent scratches from the strap). Would it really be that hard to ship it with a sapphire crystal?

I will admit, the 'Ocean of Storms' looks pretty nice. Not sure it's $400 nice though.

[​IMG]

8. Critter

Critter Registered

I personally think that is the dumbest thing ever for a watch brand. Why would swatch lower the value of Blancpain, by doing this collaboration??

I think it is confusing to many people and detracts from one of the best brands in watches.

Oh wait I see it's plastic like a Hot Wheels model car of the real thing..

9. Jedb

@Critter it's to introduce the swatch folks to another brand in the Swatch Group. Swatch Group owns Swatch, Blancpain and Omega. I'm sure there'll be more Swatch X <blank> collaborations in the future.

Think of it as the Porsche 914. It's a step in car to get them on the trajectory to the 911 or 924/928.

SteveThompson likes this.
  10. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

11. Critter

Critter Registered

Yes but it's way different watch and zero to the left of the decimal cheaper plus some,. To me its dumb unless you look at it like a Hot Wheels car. They are plastic or bioceramic, fancy name for plastic I believe? So I am not sure I am on board with your analogy. This whole thing just seems weird to me.

12. Jedb

You are coming at it from the Blancpain side. No one goes from a 928 to a 914. Ever.

Think if you are a Swatch person, collector, fan, and they have a new collaboration with someone you've never heard of.
    Hey I'll check out the colloboration and what's this White Bread thing....
    Oh, wow, those are cool... Moon phase? holy shit. GMT? damn!!
    Hhmmmm. maybe I can save for that.. Or have 217 payments on Klarna..
    <insert gang signs> Boom!

SteveThompson likes this.
  13. Critter

Critter Registered

I see I had to google WTF a 914 was, that's not a Porche it's an ugly Volkswagon

Jedb likes this.
  14. Vrba848

Vrba848 New Member

I need to step up my watch game lol, my Longines Conquest is a nice entry level watch, but I’m ready to step it up. Also looking to get my wife a Cartier Tank

15. SteveThompson

My wife loves our stainless jumbo tank. She wears it a lot.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They own Tissot too and I'm sure a bunch more people don't notice.

17. Jedb

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Grandpa gave me this the year he passed. His dad was a coal miner. He finished his career in a prison guarding the chain work gang. Somehow he did a trade with one of the inmates for this pocketwatch. I've no idea if it works. Didn't want to mess it up

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jedb likes this.
  20. SteveThompson

If it was mine, I’d wind it. It is very unlikely you’ll do more damage if there is something wrong with it.

tony 340 likes this.