Any roofers on here

Discussion in 'General' started by alan, Apr 25, 2014.

1. alan

alan Well-Known Member

I need to to replace the roof on my house after a tree fell through it recently. I'm looking for suggestions on which brand of shingles to get. Not sure if it matters but the house is a rancher with a low pitched roof and does not get much sun because of all the trees.

Alan

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We used certainteed on our recent redo of the roof. Guy at the lumber yard was pushing pinnacle but saw a shitload of bad reviews on them and their warranty. I was pleased with the quality while working with them, even though I've never touched a shingle you could feel the difference between the certainteed and the pinnacle(atlas?). I'm sure there are other good ones out there too.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Certainteed, GAF, Elk all made good shingles from what I remember. I think most are 25-35 year warranties on their dimensional shingles. As with anything else, installation is key. Make sure you/they put ice and water shield along the bottom of the roof at the gutter, and in any valley's. If you're doing ridge vents, make sure they actually cut them out, let alone cut out enough. Put new stack boots on and use new step flashing, if applicable.. Those two are just cheap insurance.

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

pretty much any of the name brands are good, doing a roof on my fathers house this weekend

5. Carey322

Carey322 Well-Known Member

GAF bought Elk a while ago, so no more Elk name. GAF Timberline series all look and feel just like Elk shingles.

CertainTeed, GAF, and Owens Corning are all good shingles. All have lifetime warranties now, read the fine print it is still a prorated warranty.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you're not doing the roof yourself, make sure you get what you paid for.
    It has become evident that the roofers who did my house 17 years ago with 25 year shingles probably used some inferior stuff they had left from another job, because most of the shingles are in good shape while a few sections are just crumbling (all on the back roof).
    The only fix is to replace the whole back roof. Attempts to get any satisfaction from the roofer 17 years after the job was done haven't proved fruitful.

7. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reponses.
    Alan

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My buddy who is a roofer and has 10guys and 4 trucks and ain't always the cheap guy in town uses Certainteed.

I have it on my house. He doesn't do bullshit work.

He does warranty re-do work all the time and usually ends up selling siding jobs and other shit when he does it.

9. ckruzel

did my first and last roof, came out really good everything is nice and straight, but what a job, i'm still sore, it was about 24 square, complete tear off and install

10. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

Everyone should do at least one house themselves. That way you feel better about just writing a check on the next one.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I agree, at least you know what you have when you're done though. Of the estimates we got we saved about 1500$ on ours. Might be worth it to some.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely. I've done roofing. I never will again.

13. ckruzel

toughest thing i have ever done, i'm still sore today, i'm more of a behind the desk sorta guy, hats off to anyone that does that day in and day out