1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any CMRA racers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by cbush, Jul 19, 2023.

1. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I’m planning to race next year and would appreciate advice regarding choice of bike. I’m considering n400 vs nsf250 vs sumo.

For background, I’m 52, fit, and live here in central Texas. I started track riding with a 2-day course with CSS in 2017, and have been riding track days consistently (10-12 weekends annually) since 2018 (at COTA, Barber, ECR, and Cresson).

Rode an ‘07 gsxr 750 for 2018/19/20, then a pv4 since 2021. Recently added an rsv4 as well. I think I’m an intermediate rider generally, and ride in the A group with Ridesmart at COTA (pb 2:31). I recently borrowed a buddy’s track prepped n400 for a day at Cresson and enjoyed the bike.

Thanks in advance for feedback!
    Craig

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Sv 650

Sabre699 and 5axis like this.
  3. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

I'd love an NSF250, but racing is hard on bikes and crashing will happen. With that in mind, I'd go for something that is more common so that parts are easier to get. Take a look at the CMRA rules and see if there is a class that appeals to you. Or just look at the CMRA results to see what classes people are riding those bikes, easier than reading rules :)

Out of the bikes you list, the Ninja 400 would be my choice and is the choice of many CMRA racers.

Have you ridden the new G2 track yet?

cbush likes this.
  4. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Thanks bro. I think the n400 is the sensible choice and the one I’ll likely choose, but I have this itch for the nsf and sumo.

Yep - I rode the opening weekend at G2 with Ridesmart in June. Decent track but lack of facilities and the owner’s attitude is off putting. You?

5. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Sumo don't last long at CMRA tracks.

There is only one guy on an NSF250 but he still get sto race with other bikes, like 400's etc. Nothing wrong with the NSF, just race what you want to race it doesn't matter what anyone else says.
    Go out and have fun. Just like The Meatmen say - It's more fun to compete!

Boman Forklift and cbush like this.
  6. bncadvr

Haven't been to G2, Cresson, or Harris Hill, but have been to MSRH (many times), ECR, and COTA. I'm not in living in TX at the moment, so it will probably be a while for G2.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Clapped out of course.

bncadvr and gixxerboy55 like this.
  8. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Yeah, G2 isn’t worth a special trip.

bncadvr likes this.
  9. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Sumos don’t last long?

10. backbone

I just mean that on the longer tracks they will need to be rebuilt fairly quick compared to a street bike.

cbush likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Whatever happened with that internal war they had going over there? What if anything ever resolved by the lawsuit?

12. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

What war/lawsuit?

13. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Understood. Think it’s the same for the nsf250 motor?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

16. backbone

From my understanding it a roadrace motor, not a MX motor.

17. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

For my understanding, do you happen to know the technical details that might make the nsf motor more durable?

18. bncadvr

I would think the NSF would still need frequent rebuilds due to being hotly tuned race motor. I don't think there is a real way for a small bike to run wot on long tracks without taking a beating.

cbush likes this.
  19. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yo, CMRA racer. The grids are full of lightweight, ultralightweight bikes. I don't think the SV compares well to the RS660 in those classes. There are plenty of motard riders.

G2 pisses me off - it's exactly 4.0 miles from my house. It has double-Armco barriers (like Watkins Glen) on the hot pit wall. They are definitely unfriendly to motorcycles, don't want bike owners as members. I don't know how Ridesmart got in, probably guaranteed five dates a year or some shit. I think RS charges a hefty premium for that and Eagles Canyon also (I know CMRA does, and I'm skipping ECR this year - I'm headed to Barber with y'all instead).

cbush likes this.
  20. bncadvr

I didn't think Ridesmart did ECR, but Sport Rider Coaching does.