1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Van thread, but different

Discussion in 'General' started by RIB333, Jan 31, 2019.

1. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I searched and read all the van threads I could find. Felt like my eyes were going to burn. I still have some questions for you folks that are using vans to transport bikes to the track. I'd like to know which type is preferred, traditional Chevy type or the newer styles (Ford and Ram), I'm thinking extended wheelbases. Pluses and minuses of each in your experience. Also how many bikes can actually fit with Pit Bull restraints and/or Condor style chocks.
    I am in the market for a cargo van and have been looking at them at dealers with a tape measure and trying to figure out set ups and lay outs.

This will be a transport van only, no camping or sleeping accommodations.

I've also been using Google to see pictures, so if you have any to post that would be very helpful as well. Appreciate the input.

2. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I had a van pass me last week with 2 hardleys inside,damndest thing.He had removed the passenger seat and crammed 2 full dressers into a chevy van.
    I would think with that set up you could fit 3 race bikes,but I have zero experience.
    Carry bikes like I use to
    [​IMG]

Rides like a donkey,but can be had at a reasonable price for older models and you can carry everybodys bikes,and split fuel costs.
    Get the diesel.
    Also doubles as a canopy during rain races,stretch a tarp from gate to cab and sit comfortably in turn 7 road atlanta during rain race with all your friends.A van can't do that :D

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I had 3 bikes in E350 extended, 2 forward and one backwards. Could put 4th on hitch :)

4. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Whatever you get, you MUST have an airbrush mural on the side. Dragons, old sailing ships, surf scenes...all good ideas. Keep us posted and ask for help if you need ideas. :crackup:

ineedanap, stk0308, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Old style Ford and Chevy are about the same size, but I believe the Chevy might sit a little lower to the ground. In the long wheel base versions, the Ford is extended behind the axle where the Chevy is extended in front of it. This makes a difference in usable interior space and ultimately ride quality. The more weight you can load between the axles the better. I know in my Ford, when I had the bike mounted all the way to the back, the 400 or so pounds behind the axle made the van drive like crap. With the bike mounted in the center of the van it drives much better.

Obviously, if money is no object get on of the new style vans. I'd probably go for a Transit first, a Sprinter second, and the Ram way back in last (probably behind a well cared for old style van, those things suck that much).

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah, go big or go home: "Free 10mm sockets inside" badly but largely written on the side.

sharkattack likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

"Free Candy"

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm going with "Free wine and foot massages". I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather attract suburban MILFS instead of grease monkeys and children (nttawwt - well actually, there is a lot wrong with that, but you do you).

Phl218 and shakazulu12 like this.
  9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Best van painting yet

[​IMG]

ZimZam, Shocker and ChemGuy like this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

"Free Valium" :D

11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

3 full size bikes and a scooter in an E350/ Savannah van
    4 are doable in a long and tall Sprinter and I think a long Promaster. Not sure about the Transit.

AMac likes this.
  12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Basically the old vans are cheap and reliable. You can't stand in them, which makes loading tougher but most anyone can manage. If money is less of an issue, then newer and stand-up height is way more betta. I still think an ambulance would be fun just because it's got room to store all kinds of stuff inside of it neatly.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know what'd make a cool mural on the side of your van. A Raymond Pettibon piece of artwork. :D

If you aren't pulled over at least once a day with that on the side then I don't know what will.

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You forgot Valkyries with big titties and a sword. Or anything Boris Vallejo really

[​IMG]

Phl218 and sharkattack like this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just saw ShakaChan's post and that is getting into Pettibon territory right there. :crackup:

16. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

well more ideas please.used ups cargo van. lots of room. stand up fairly low to the ground. have to paint .dont like brown,looks like a turd.

17. sharkattack

How could I have forgotten about Boris?!

cha0s#242 likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Diet Dr Dave got a used cab over mitsubishi or the like on the cheap and I remember him liking it.

Just don't get one an ex Goodwill one, they can get a bit testy about that shit. :D

Murcielago311 likes this.
  19. sharkattack

Slight thread derailment, a while ago I was looking at old college pics. One of the guys in my fraternity had a 70s van with an airbrushed mural of the Bermuda triangle on it. Fog, sailing ships, mermaids, etc. Lots of good times were had in that van; the (somewhat trashy) town-folk chicks really dug that van! I recently went down the rabbit hole of looking at pics of other vans from the 70s. The artwork, the shag carpeting, the beds, the cool shaped rear window, etc. Those need to come back.

K51000 likes this.
  20. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I've got a 2015 transit, mid roof long wheelbase. I had someone fab a 1/4" steel plate that bolts into the two tie bolt holes on the frame. You can kind of see it, the rug overlaps it. I can fit 2 bikes on the pitbull setup, and one more with a chock in the front by the seats. One thing to consider is how well it fits in a parking space. Mine just barely fits into 1, so if I got the longer version it would be a headache sometimes. I also got mid height because I could stand up completely straight without hitting my head, that was a great move on my part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]