1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another truck question

Discussion in 'General' started by Sicilian32, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

Ok im looking for a 4 wheel drive truck, to tow a 19 foot toy hauler prob around 4500 wet and a few bikes. I found a tundra 4x4 with 50k miles for labout 17k and ive also found some 08 f250s for around 20 - 22k but they have 135k miles plus. now what would be the better deal? the f250 rated last in the HD pick up tests and the tundra has the best towing for 1/2 tons. so cost quality mileage and ease of tow. does anyone have any suggestions or experiance with this? these are both good deals but im going on deployment for 6 mo really soon and im not sure if i should wait or jump on one of these as i can pay for it in full with cash.

2. Sicilian32

also wont be a daily driver as i have a nice 5 series that i like to drive and it actually gets like 24mpg avg.

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Dodge Diesel FTW

4. Sicilian32

cant afford a newer dodge diesel 4x4 crew cab with lower miles

5. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

So get an older one 05/06/07 with 100k on it.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

What year is the Toyota, and what engine does it have?

7. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

deff get diesel!!!!!

8. grandboy2

grandboy2 Active Member

I have a 08 Tundra with the 5.7. I tow a 8.5 x 20 enclosed trailer. The truck towed it fine. I could run 80 all day but the mileage wasnt great. I slowed down around 65 to 70 avg a little over 9.4mpg. Mine is not a 4x4 but it is a SR5 and has the TRD package. It will have no problem towing that trailer. Mine weighs around 5000 loaded.

9. Sicilian32

the toy is an 07 with the 5.7

10. Sicilian32

is there a reason the dodge would be better then the ford? for the new trucks the chevy 2500 took it but i def cant afford one of those

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

No matter what you get...towing a "brick" kills mileage. Diesel is nice but not necessary if you don't approach heavy weights.....the small difference in mileage probably takes too many years to pay for itself. (PS I have a F350 diesel, so go figure...)

12. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

The 5.7 is a pretty stout and reliable motor, and depending on the "date of first use" on the truck, you should have about 1yr/10000 miles left on the power train warranty. I haven't seen too many problems with the tundra, but there have been TSB's about rear axle bearings, rear axle oil baffles, and one about the front axle shaft/cv joint.

If you get a chance to test drive it listen for growling sounds that happen below 30 mph for the front axle, and above 40 for the rear. If it has agressive tire tread make sure you don't confuse tire noise for bearing noise.

At the dealership I work at, we haven't had any major problems with any tundras since the '07 model year on up. There was one truck that we put new cam gears and timing chain on due to an early production problem, but again, that was only one truck out of the 5-8 we see per day.

If you'd like, shoot me a PM with a vin number and an email address (if you're semi-serious about picking up this truck), and I can check its service history for you. As long as its been to a Toyota dealership for maintenance and repair, I'll see it.

If I had the spare coin, I'd have a Tundra, but then again I'm a little biased. ;)

13. I wont have anything other than a diesel. Pulling stuff with 1500's isnt a strain on just the motor, it is the transmission also. After blowing a few motors/transmissions, realized i needed a diesel.

After getting this '11 Duramax, i wont have anything else.

Even if you dont get a brand new one, i would suggest getting a diesel before a gas for sure.

14. Sicilian32

even if im not towing more then 7000lbs?

15. Sicilian32

16. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

I tow sub 5,000 lb. loads with my 06' Tundra, 4.7. It has no real difficulty, and can easily maintain 80 doing it. Put 240k miles on a well abused Tacoma, overloaded everywhere, ALL the time. I am an admitted fan of the brand, but it seems all trucks today are pretty good if you stay on the maintenance. Neglect that and any of them will crap on you.

Good luck. Diesel in my mind is for big loads, if you don't foresee them then it is overkill that smells and is loud.:Poke:

17. Sicilian32

no huge loads as i said, i figure a 16 to 21ft toy hauler with 3 to 4 bikes

18. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

Id personally go with the Tundra. Ill be in the market soon for a Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7 I have several friends with them and all of them love them and not a single one has had any problems.

I know one who beats the shit out of his and still runs strong.

Being a "chevy guy" im just not impressed with the newer trucks. Toyotas are known for their quality and resale value so thats why im switching over.

As for the diesel vs gas id stick with the gas. I rather have a newer cheaper gas for what you tow then an older diesel with more miles. Like another poster said it probably wont save you any money

19. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

My opinion is grab the 3/4 ton either f250 or a dodge 2500. Things weigh more then you think and can add up. Water in the toy hauler for the fresh tanks? Waste? gear and tools and who knows what else. So its not just bikes. You will be happier with the biggest truck you can afford. Especially pulling a pull behind.

I grabbed a dodge 2500 v10 gasser for my toy hauler. Outback 5th wheel - weighs about 10k loaded or so. Because its a 5th wheel I can get away with a non diesel no problem. Do I wish I had a diesel some days - yup. But just for the better fuel mileage. Pulling I get anywhere from 7-11 mpg depending on the hills and such and my speed 9i learned long ago to stick to 55-65 on the highways as faster then 65 eats money like no tomorrow!

Now with diesel being more then gas, not so much so. The v10 pulls the toy hauler no problems, and I got it used for a fantastic price. Its only job is to pull the hauler. I store it in the winter.

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Yeah its called the Cummins, and the older models will have the 5.9L We still have an 06 3500 kicking around and its getting 22 mpg right now with Superchip and K&N filter.