1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another HVAC Q for the experts and those who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Jun 23, 2021.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

House is 21 years old. Gas forced air furnace, central air, whole house humidifier. Up to this point, have a hole in the basement floor where the condensate line runs under the foundation. Been fine for 20+ years except for 1 failure about 10 years ago where some sediment caused the water to stop draining and water came up through the drain line.
    Last October, replaces the entire system with all new gear. Last week, the condensate line backed up again. Even after snaking it, it still seems to not drain well anymore.
    So, I think I have 2 options: 1) run the condensate line to the sump pump (we’re at the highest spot in the neighborhood and sump pump has kicked on once in 21 years when the water heater, which sits next to the sump pump pit, let go after 17 years). 2) use a condensate pump and find a way to tap into the sewer line (sewer line exits the house about 5’ above basement floor).
    Solution 1 is simple and cheap, but there’s always the chance that the sump pump could go kaput.
    Solution 2 is a little more costly.
    Not concerned about power failure, because if the power fails, the HVAC system won’t be running and pumping anything out.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Might want to contact the installer. They could have done something wrong.

3. worthless

They were here yesterday. The system is working fine. Problem is, can’t dump more than 1/2 gallon of water under the foundation without it backing up again. Instead of going under the foundation, we just put a 5 gallon bucket under to catch it and I empty it when full (temp solution). Based on yesterday’s rate, it fills up a 5 gal bucket in less than a day.

4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Code doesn’t allow condensate to sewer in most places. I’d use a condensate pump and follow the line set outside. But if it’s in a finished area the sump pump will have to do

worthless likes this.
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Run it to the sump pit.

worthless and beac83 like this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

It might be best to run it to the sump pit because maybe it will test your pump more often. If that pump has only kicked on a couple times over the last decade I would be concerned about it's reliability

worthless and RonR like this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If you have a high efficiency furnace the condensate will be rather acidic and will eventually kill your sump pump. In that case add a neutralizer and dump it in the sump pit. Condensate pumps are fine but it's just something else to fail.

lazlo and worthless like this.
  8. worthless

It worked the one time I needed it to!

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I had to add a condensate pump on the one at my rental property due to a collapsed line. It still goes to the same floor drain as before but up and along a water line now instead of under the floor. Had totally forgotten about it for the last few years till this thread came up.

10. worthless

I went with option 3. Drill a new hole about 10’ away from the other one and ran a fresh pvc line to it. Whole bunch of virgin 2b under the slab to dissipate the water before the ground sucks it up. Don’t have to worry about any pumps failing.

11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm paranoid, but y'all aren't concerned about discharging water under your slab and getting frost heave in the winter?

My condensate pump runs to a laundry sink in the basement.

12. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

What's the reasoning behind this? I had to run mine to a sink drain because the original route outside would freeze in the winter and shut down the furnace.

13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have expanded on that. If you are on city water and sewer most codes will not allow it because part of your water bill is for sewer. If your dumping in “extra” water they are not getting paid for their sewer service. Seems petty but on the other hand if your using water that doesn’t go back to the sewer like watering lawn or cooling towers you can put a meter on that usage and not pay sewer cost. If your on septic then you can pipe it to the tank but I wouldn’t. Like I said a pump to the outdoors is what we do in these situations.

14. worthless

I have an internal and external perimeter french drain that goes to the sump pump. The basement slab is over a couple inches of 2b. I’m also at the high point in the neighborhood, the downspouts go pretty far away from the foundation and the ground all around the house is sloped away from the house, so no water runs towards the foundation. Other than when my water heater went and when I occasionally cycle it , my sump pump hasn’t run in 20+ years. The new hole I drilled is over the internal french drain so, theoretically, anything the ground doesn’t absorb should run into the internal french drain.
    I’m not concerned about the water under the basement slab, which is about 6’ below grade, getting frost heave. Should I be?

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

yeah we have had the freezing problem with smaller lines. If the outside pipe is 3/4 pvc and short it works perfectly

16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

You should try to get the water out of the basement to prevent any additional humidity being created
    If you have a condensing furnace you will need to set up a proper discharge to outside so it will not freeze
    If you have an 80% furnace then you only dump condensation in summer so I would pump,it outside
    Most places will not allow it to pump into sewer.

you should install an “EZ TRAP” it goes in line with the pvc drain and is flood protection for the basement..will shut off system if the line gets clogged or pump fails.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/EZ-Trap...MI_rnl3dq28QIVhJ-zCh3qGQSlEAQYASABEgIgF_D_BwE
    I would not install a new system and put condensation back into a slab…ever!

Typically follow line sets with condensation line to discharge near A/C unit…they make a discharge kit for condensing furnace to outside…

good luck