1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

This has shifted in the last 10 years quite a bit. The Boeing designed checklists are far simpler and the number of memory items has dwindled. For exactly the reason you mention. There's alot of shit you don't need to know to get the plane back down safely.

Engine fire / failure isn't even a memory item anymore because that thing can burn for 20 min out there without blowing up- and too many people shut down the wrong engine by memory. SO now we have a QRC (Quick Reference Card) for critical emergencies like this.

The only memory item checklists on the 737 are

APU Fire
    Aborted Engine Start
    Rapid Depressurization
    Smoke / Fire / Fumes
    Stab Trim Runaway
    Airspeed Unreliable

Most of these are 1 or 2 steps. The rest is off the QRC or the "book" QRH.

ducnut, tl1098 and R1Racer99 like this.
  2. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

WTF Gino? Lol.

My flying career ended 12 yrs ago :crackup: if I stuck with it id be on easy street

Gino230 likes this.
  4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

So basically. “Cars speeding up out of control? Use cruise control!! Why won’t control turn on? It’s still speeding up, omg panikk!!!”
    Instead of throwing it in neutral.
    That the gist of max issue?

Gino230 likes this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Thing I don't get is software (Mcas) is suppose to keep airplane in control but seems it was doing opposite.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Without getting too complicated- A small aircraft like a Cessna will have a natural nose down tendency during a stall, even if it's trimmed way nose up. The FAA really wanted that same behavior on the 737. The MAX with it's larger engines placed further forward had very light stick forces at super high angles of attack (stall) when thrust was above idle. The FAA didn't like that so Boeing designed MCAS to put a little nose down trim during extreme stall conditions.

The problem happened when the input into the system that determines when the aircraft is stalled (Flight Control Computers) gave bad data- so the MCAS was activating when it shouldn't have been. It also set off all kinds of alarms, which presented a very confusing situation to the crew. They were initially just flying the airplane and trimming against the runaway, but at some point they stopped and allowed the trim to continue to run away unchecked.

ducnut likes this.
  7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yep . When George, our name for the auto pilot, isn’t flying how we want. Fire his ass and fly the plane yourself.

ducnut likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Maybe George just needs a little help... :D

[​IMG]

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A little manual inflation from the stews never hurts.

unless there is too much teeth involved.

ducnut likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nothing I like better than sitting at the airport lounge (MCO) reading through headlines about on-fire and crashing airplanes whilst getting ready to board my flight that's flying into wintery conditions upon landing.

Enjoy the weekend lads.

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Thoughts and prayers!

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

ducnut and PatricksDad like this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Keeps on keeping on.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not necessarily related to Boeing's foibles....but United's CEO has had a viral video of him released prancing around in drag, and he's also a big proponent of diversity hiring rather than based on merit it sounds like.

[​IMG]

Namarow, ducnut and 418 like this.
  17. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

auminer and ducnut like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

from the FAA: Boeing 737-900ER Mid-Cabin Door Plug Inspection
    https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/SAFO737900ER.pdf