1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not enough info on the what? :confused:
    If that's made up, somebody studied a lot of books and manuals to craft that elaborate story.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well the writer is the aero reporter in Seattle, I'd expect him to know his shit pretty well. I'm talking about the sources saying things were rushed etc... Could very well be true but could be making things up to sell papers. I never trust anonymous sources until their info can be verified. Too many stupid people and liars out there.

baconologist likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There are signatures on documents all the way through these certification processes. If that's not the way it happened, it will come out very quickly.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree on that. Just talking about the article in and of itself.

So what's up with the black boxes going back to Ethiopia? Is their air ministry or whatever it is capable of fully examining them and determining what really happened?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I haven't looked at any news on that today but once data has been downloaded, I don't think it matters much where the black boxes are going. Unless they are also taking all copies of the data with them. :confused:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was the impression I got, the French unlocked them and now they and all the data goes back to Ethiopia and they'll release something about it in a few months. It was US network news though so not sure on reality or details.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yesterday or the day before, they were saying that there would be a preliminary report within 30 days.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

A good friend who is an engine mechanic at Delta (25+ years experience) feels that Boeing has just pushed the 737 too far. The landing gear are too short for the new engines, the risk of sucking in FOD is too high, changes to add longer gear would require airframe modifications, etc., etc. His opinion is that the Max pushed the 737 platform too far from it's original design and needs to really have a revamped airframe.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's time for a V4!

418, noles19 and Banditracer like this.
  10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Do wha?

He and another buddy both said Delta won't be buying anything from Boeing for a long time after the Canadair tariffs on what's now the A220. That shit cost Delta a lot of money. Airbus only for the foreseeable future.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Bad joke on how Ducati reached the end of the road with the v-twin platform.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I was thinking that kind of V4, but figured your smrater then that.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Even with having a procedure to correct the condition the question remains what causes the plane to go into this state?

16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

If this article is true, the matter points to inexperience and/or unwillingness to study the Dash 1. You can’t be conferring with a checklist at 5,000 feet while a jet is inexplicably losing altitude.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

that one was a bad sensor.

But how often does a commerical airliner stall? is the system(MCAS) over-engineered to work for a infinitesimal % of flights?

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

There was no need for the MCAS to continue to move the stabilizer for that long. They will limit the number of attempts and the authority the system has so it cannot go full down trim on its own. They’ll probably add back in the aft column cutout which prevents trim automatically driving opposite of the column / elevator. And then they’ll add some sensor checking / redundancy / dual channel logic for the AOA sensors, and then finally they’ll update pubs and training.

And then finally finally, they will have to explain how this design weakness got through system safety analysis and functional hazard analysis and why there is nothing else that also got through the process. The systemic corrective action will take the longest. IMHO of course.....

BigBird likes this.
  19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Also a matter of situational awareness and recognizing what checklist you should be running. Takeoff and landing checklists should be memorized. It's only when you get into more in depth troubleshooting that you would be pulling out and reading through checklists. I don't know how this is trained for a professional pilot, but I know at the private level, this is drilled into your head. Yes, you do have the most common checklists at your fingertips for reference, but you should have them in your head. As you say, there isn't a lot of time to a) recognize and b) react correctly at 5000'.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

pretty sure there had to be some panic setting in....a 31 yo pilot, not sure how many issues he had to deal with previously.