1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angry moose

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Meese are assholes. We were warned as such as kids playing the woods. They are however, very majestic.

And møøse burgers are tasty as fuck. :D :D :D

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If I'm allowed to use a 30 round magazine, I'd use my Mini 14 to ward off any dangerous creature in North America. We are limited to five shots here, so I carry a 45-70.

cav115 likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

What’s the logic behind that choice?

4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

This situation is EXACTLY why they make a .500 s&w magnum revolver with a snub barrel.

sdg likes this.
  5. nigel smith

The 45-70? It's an old friend. We've been wandering around the woods together for 40 odd years. More sentiment than logic, I suppose.

JBraun likes this.
  6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me. I was referencing the mini 14. Seems a light round is all.

I get the sentiment. When I bought my Glock 20 I felt a little sad that my .40 Beretta that had been on my hip for many years would essentially become a paper weight.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

8.6 blackout, bitches. As I recall, more energy at 1,000 yards than .308 at the muzzle.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I’m in the woods with a horny moose with any of you .223ers on my side and I have to choose a gun? .22 all day.

as I start to run, shoot you and your tactifooling broken brain in the leg with my .22 and haul ass for Florida. As the moose, mooses and meeces stomp your screaming ass into the ground I’ll be eating Cheetos and sipping Heinekens.

F@ck you, I ain’t a moose f@ck toy but you will be. :D

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The only thing I know about the idatarod is Ayla Tweto was haaaawwwwt in that fur bikini.:Putter:

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I nominate this for a name change.
    Gorilla Squirrel?
    Gorilla Rocky?
    OH! I got it!!

Rocky Roughneck!

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

This is a good thread.

3 things:

1. I don't know a whole ton about guns. I have a 12ga pump to bring the ruckus if I ever have an uninvited guest. Should do the job without potentially harming neighbors (I live in the city right now) it is also easy for the wife to use if I'm not home.. I also have a 9mm Glock that I planned on bringing with me as I travel for car/bike racing.. But I can never remember to schedule any sort of class to get a carry permit... I dunno WTF I'd do with a Moose trynna kick my ass, I wouldn't even know what gun to use if it weren't for this thread.

2. The Iditarod sounds so awesome. 8+ days in Alaska, hanging out with some cool dogs. ( I know there's way more to it) I listened to some interview on NPR where Dave Davies was speaking with a lady who did the race. I found it fascinating. IIRC she said they have to stop every 45-60 minutes so the dogs can eat/rest. That's wild. She also said that Rule #1 is to never let go of the dogs. Like if you fall of or something. They apparently don't give a shit about you and all they wanna do is haul ass. lmao.

3. Fuck Moose. I work with a guy who lived in Alaska for a while as a kid. He told me a story about how a bull got so mad once, that it ripped down a work shed his parents had on their property. Just literally and completely destroyed it.

EDIT: I found the interview. Blair Braverman is her name.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/16/1055933800/iditarod-sled-dog-racer-blair-braverman

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I was with a scout troop hiking the trail above Jenny lake north of Jackson. The wardens warned us to stay clear of moose. We came around a bend in the trail and there are a bunch of knuckle heads up close to a bull moose in the thicket trying to get close up pictures....Duh....I took my scouts and we climbed up the highest rock we could find to watch the show. We weren't let down. That moose charged the dumb asses, they went screaming back down the trail, we took pictures. He stuck around for a long time and we had to give up our hike to make it back to the boat for the return trip. Still worth it.

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Gotta strap that 2x4 across your ass or fall in that cavern !!

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

couple episodes back on the MeatEater podcast they had a guy on who was mauled by a grizzly, him and a friend were elk hunting. His friend was carrying a 10mm sidearm in bear country, and he was able to get one shot off with his rifle (300 win mag) and according to him as well as the fish and game autopsy on the bear... the 10mm wasnt doing shit to slow down the mama grizzly.

worth a listen, iheartradio/apple podcasts. meateater, episode 310 "an 8 second encounter".

16. nigel smith

I have a picture on my phone of my actual neighbors, two cubs and momma bear. I tried to share it but I get a file too big error. Black bears just run away if they can, although I was nervous about pissing mommy bear off. I carry a .44 on my morning walkabout. Hopefully, I'll never find out if it's powerful enough.

socalrider likes this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In my opinion, there is no such thing as too much gun when dealing with moose and brown bears. I like my Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC with handloads of the Hornady 300gr XTP at 1200FPS. I have shot deer with that load and got over 18" of penetration before exit.
    I also like the idea of 12ga slugs if one is looking at a defense situation with bears and moose. I think it would be very effective.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Jesus. I had no idea a 45 lc had that kind of energy. Are you packing C4 in that brass?

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’m a pretty consistent listener and haven’t heard that one yet.

I don’t doubt it though. Sometimes I wonder if that gun is a defensive weapon or a pacifier. Either way I sleep better.

If I had to use it on a grizz or moose I’m likely fucked, but cats and wolves can present a problem too. At least in that case I’d get killed for my insufficient shooting rather than an insufficient projectile. :D

socalrider likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My only story about brown bear and moose are the taxidermy mounts at the home of an ex’s father. Never asked what he shot them with, only prayed he wouldn’t shoot me with it for what I was shooting his daughter with.