1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA @VIR ???

Discussion in 'General' started by slow rider, Jan 7, 2001.

1. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

Just wondering what kind of lap times would be necessary to qualify for the AMA 600 SuperSport event next year? I really enjoy that track and would love to get on T.V. I could do a wheelie as I get lapped. [​IMG]

2. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

They haven't raced there yet. It would be hard to tell, although a few AMA riders tested there last year. Maybe if you can get a hold of those times, you could get an idea. But they'll likely go a lot faster when they return to race.

3. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Michael, The best way to compare would be take a track like Road A and compare your times from there. You know you can learn the track (hell, you beat me there!) and then do the 110% (or is it 107%) calculation. Yates took the pole last year with a 1:27.6 (rounded). So at 107% thats 1:33.7 and at 110% you need to turn a lap of 1:36.36. If I had to guess I would say you turned a few 1:32's at the GNF so you would have qualified for that race. Make sense?

Anyway that is how I think of it. I believe the AMA is running the full track so we wouldn't be able to compare our times from the National in August.

Ryan

4. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

But then you'd have to buy an AMA license....
    [​IMG]

5. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

....and join too!!!

6. Due North

...and turn in your freedom of speech!! [​IMG]

7. wera122

wera122 Guest

That shouldn't be a problem for you Due, you're used to that in Canada, eh? [​IMG]

8. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

I've got an AMA Pro licence and have yet to give blood for it...

9. fastguy

fastguy Well-Known Member

AMA tested there and here are some of the lap times: Bostrom 600 Supersport 1:30's; Nicky Hayden 600 supersport 1:32's; Grant Lopez 750 supersport 1:31's; Doug Chandler 750 superbike 1:26's. Hope this helps. Look in November or December's Roadracing World. It talks about AMA testing the North course and full course. All times I just gave were on the North course, which was what WERA raced. Good Luck.

10. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Who says AMA are using the whole course?

11. Due North

tttttttwwwwwwwwwwwppppppppppptttttttttttt

12. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

They're not. At least if they are I'm going to have a problem. We (NESBA) rented out the south course for that weekend. I would hate to think what the superbike guys would do to our begginner class on the track.

13. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Sorry guys. Thought I interpreted from all the reading they were using the whole course.

Ryan

14. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Don't you have to be an expert for at least one year before you're eligible for an AMA license? Plus you have to demonstrate earning a certain amount of points, right?

15. racer63

racer63 Well-Known Member

Nope. You don't have to be an expert for a year. I've even known cases where successful amateurs got AMA Superbike licenses in their first year as experts. (The superbike license is supposed to be harder to get than the others.)

16. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Well, there just happens to be another thread dedicated to the AMA License Qualifications, so please see it for more info.