1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Supersport bike values used

Discussion in 'General' started by ductune, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

A friend just called me and asked if I had an idea of how much a 2008 R6 ex AMA race bike would sell for. His friend apparently bought one of Garrett Carter's old bikes and used it for a few trackdays and now wants to sell it. I'm assuming it's a supersport bike.

I told him I had no idea and would depend on condition. I advised him to list it in the WERA classifieds after getting more details. He said it didn't have a VIN. Did Yamaha supply bikes to racers with some kind of plaque in place of a VIN?

2. ped

ped Banned

are there sanding marks on the frame headstock? lol

3. Chip

Chip Registered

Ex-AMA bikes sold by the team has value. Ex-AMA bike after its been away from professional mechanics for 6 years....has....less value.

Garrett's dad is on this forum. Hate McDead.

If it doesn't have a VIN, then its a replacement frame.....or its stolen.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Not sure if if they still do but Yamaha used to sell frames without number. You could walk in to dealership and buy frame.

5. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I bought one from an AMA team last year, and it was one of a few (6) bikes they had in the stable. The bike is still maintained by a professional shop (Marietta Motorsports) so I have records for all the work that's been done and dyno sheets.

For a bike that old with a few years of unknown use... I'd pay anywhere between 6-8k depending on condition and spares.

I'd only pay that after a leak-down test, and a dyno run by a shop I trusted.

6. ductune

Thanks guys. I'll advise him to read this thread and post it in the classifieds.
    I'll also try to go see it to understand what he meant about a plaque to identify it instead of a VIN.

7. ductune

Finally got a chance to go see the bike. The frame appears to be a replacement with no VIN ever being stamped. It has a very small sticker near the headstock that says AMA Proracing with a number on it. Could this sticker be something the AMA uses to identify a replaced frame? AMA rule book says the frame must have a VIN.

I took a few pictures with my phone. Didn't have time to really inspect it. Did start it and other than a small exhaust leak at the header it sounded good. Looks rough but mechanically sound. It's clearly Garrett Carter's old super sport bike as it has his name and number on it. Sent a PM to his dad (Hate McDead) but no response.

I haven't spoken directly with the current owner, just his friend that has been asked to sell it. I'm assuming he still has the stock wheels but not much in the way of spares. It currently has Dymag carbon wheels on it.

Assuming it is mechanically "OK" but not fresh and cosmetically poor what is a fair price for it?

Attached Files:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The AMA sticker is just their registration of that frame with them for that rider/team. Nothing to do with replacement frame or VIN stuff.

9. ductune

Thanks Mongo. I'll pass that along to the guy selling it. Once he finds out what spares come with it he can put it in the classifieds.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It could be a replacement frame which isn't a huge deal but Stuart would know more on that one

11. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Depends on the team IMHO

Plenty of bikes for sale all the time that have ultra-inflated prices because they were "such and such" team's and "so and so" rode it

Rob Jensen used to sell his bikes for a fraction of the price of some of the prices on AMA bikes and he was faster than a lot of AMA riders!

Just sayin...

You're buying the name and history...not the bike or talent... :)