Ama 2005 Rule Proposal?

Discussion in 'General' started by peterhaulintail469, Jul 25, 2004.

1. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

Proposal 1

During the Daytona 200, a maximum of five working crew members would be allowed over the pit wall for pit stop service instead of the current four.

Proposal 2

During the Daytona 200, fire suits and goggles would be required for refueling personnel. In addition, engines would be stopped during refueling.

Proposal 3

For Superbike, Superstock and Formula Xtreme, any tires approved by the tire manufacturers for racing would be allowed. Supersport would retain current regulations.

Proposal 4

Entry restrictions on factory riders in Superbike and Superstock would be removed.

Proposal 5

Due to the quality of front fork structures on modern sport bikes, aftermarket fork braces would no longer be permitted in Superstock and Supersport.

Proposal 6

All helmets used by riders in on-track activities would be required to be equipped with a commercially-manufactured emergency helmet removal device such as the Hats Off® device or the Arai helmet removal device.

-----------------------------------

okay, I think 1., 3. and 5. make sense. But #2. is retarded with the whole goggles and fire suits, i agree with the bike ignition off issue on that rule change. #6 puzzles me, factory guys dont buy thier lids like the privateers.....although I understand it's in the thought of safety but DAMN? Is WERA headed in this direction too?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

#5 seems a little "off" to me. Leave the fork braces on. Okay, not "off" but just F'ed up. Ditch this.

#6. If they can get it to work, safely than cool. If it even seems to start to turn into a cluster F (which I think it will), kill it before it turns to crap.

#2. To me, this is way over due. Better do it now then when someone gets burned.

3. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I was hoping for more changes to the 200 as far as safety concerns. Maybe that will be addressed later...

4. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

:up: for #2 and #4

:down: for #5

:confused: for #6, not sure how that would add to the cost of racing. Are these new helmets uber-expensive?

-Wish

5. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

It's an air bladder that fits in the top of your helmet, think they're about $60.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good to go with all of them as far as I've been able to consider them today...

I'll have to look into the helmet removal devices, those sound nice.

7. Putter

I must be an idiot. How do these helmet devices work?

8. Knarf Legna

EMT's inflate the bladder and the helmet pops off your head without pulling on your neck.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, no force appled to the neck at all - very cool idea. Imagine wearing a whoopie cushion on your head under your helmet.

10. Putter

Cool. Is that in use at all now?

11. Knarf Legna

I know a guy who races ALMS GT who has used it, and a few guys who run sprint cars. Don't know of any mc racers using them.

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Helmet thing sounds like a pretty damn good idea to me. I would certainly pay $60 bucks for that. I personally don't think the fire suits are necessary but what the hell it's fairly minor thing to require so why not. It is an easy way to add a safety margin so tough to argue with.

13. peterhaulintail469

peterhaulintail469 Orange-u Racing 469

but wont the rubber cause additional tempatures in the helmet...like in wrestling when kids run with plastic garbage bags under thier sweats to loose weight. This could cause strokes in weather like the Cycle Jam this year, let alone we fight fogging on muggy days with our sweat without this? Just food for thought as it sounds cool in theory but I say leave the helmet on till the hospital anyway?

14. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

i agree, while the helmet thing will be safer it will restrict the ventilation in the helmet and raise the temps

just my 2c

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

You have such a way with words...

16. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

#6 helmet issue

I don't know how quick this will go into effect or if it will hit WERA, but does this mean that everyone will have to buy new helmets?

I just ordered my new helmet for racing (still waiting on the bike), and had trouble coming up with that $400 after my employee discount. I don't want to have to go out and get a new helmet when I finally get out to race.

For $60 it sounds like a fair deal, and a good idea for safty, as long as you don't cook your head with it.
    :down: :up:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We wouldn't enact a rule that required new helmets for everyone unless it was somehting that was guaranteed to prevent every head injury ever - as in the miracle helmet. So no worries on that score.

18. bmclaughlan

bmclaughlan Well-Known Member

Hey! I want one of those miracle helmets!!!

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Rule Change Proposal #7: Stop the stupidity of having one endurance race in the AMA Superbike schedule. Daytona could still be a special event if it had a really large purse of was a triple header, for instance. Indeed, Daytona will always be special - but the 200 is just plain BOOORING!!! And stupid, too, or did I already say that?

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

So are most lawyers. But we aren't allowed to kill you, now are we? :)

Don't mess with history. If motorcycles were meant to be raced for 200 miles, ~on the beach~, in the 40's, why can't the sissy factory boys last 200 miles on a paved circuit?

[​IMG]