Alpinestars leather suit fitment...

Discussion in 'General' started by jwm2k3, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jwm2k3

jwm2k3 Active Member

I owned a 44 Astars suit for 10 years, it was well broken in. It had to be cut off me, so I bought a new Dainese Laguna Seca in size 46/56. After wearing it for about 3 or 4 races, its just too tight. Too tight in the torso and shoulder/bicep area.

My question...will an Astars ATEM or GP PRO in size 46 fit me better? I conside my Dainese extreme race fit, i dont like it.

Im 5'11" and weigh about 180-185lbs, medium build.

Thanks for any imput.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm 6' 200lbs and originally bought a 44/54 Alpinestars GP Pro. It was just barely too tight for my liking, so I stepped up to the 46/56 and it's perfect with just a tad bit of room if I happen to put on a few pounds.

I think the 44/54 GP Pro should fit you well.

With the Atem, I think I remember reading somewhere that they run a bit smaller than the GP Pro.

Best bet is to either find a shop that has one to try on or purchase from a vendor with a generous return policy, like STG or Rider's Discount.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and used to race in a size 42/52 Alpinestars MX-1 suit and it was snug, but appropriate for a racing suit to me. Now I am in the 190-200lb range and I got a size 46/56 2016 Atem suit from Riders Discount and it is a little large for me. I would rather have the 44/54 and at the last race, I was at 193lb. It is not super huge and I am fine in it, I think I just prefer a little snugger fit. Also, the arms and legs are maybe 1-2" too long even for me at 6'2". Workable, but at least an inch long. I'm a 42 chest, 34 waist and 32-34 inseam. My feeling is the 44/54 would be better unless you have a thick chest. I am a slimmer build.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Wow, I have a 46 Atem, am 6'0" at 185. My Atem fits a bit snug (I wear a chest and back protector) but I never notice it on the track...other things to worry about. Only gripe with the Atem is the poofy cuffs on the legs and arms...would much prefer a standard leather cuff.

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I am about your size and the 44 gp pro fit me great. Granted this was a few years ago. Their suits tend to change a bit year to year regarding size.

I will say if you are looking at paying gp pro money why not have pilot make you one to fit? Would be cheaper and they make a fantastic suit.

7. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Go custom - I'm basically your same size height and weight wise - Have a D-air 54/44 an ATEM 54/44 and Pilot 46 chasis with extra circumference around legs and chest (for Forcefield shorts and Knox chest/rib protector/ Forcefield Sub 4 back protector (both thick) - two inch shortened arms and legs.

Dainese - as you know, extreme race fit - sucks off the bike - glorious on the bike - arms and legs could lose an inch - wear chest and back protector - no chance on the shorts - it's my go to now - took a good month to break in.
    ATEM - more relaxed fix - can actually walk around in it off the bike - more "comfortable" - can't wear the shorts with it but it has integrated hip armor - wear chest and back protector with it - hate that it's made in China - already have the red stripe printed on it flaking off (basically have 5 days riding in it).
    Pilot - measurements to fit "comfortable" with chest, back and legs/hip protection. Fits exactly as I designed it - now feel like I'm swimming in it compared to the A* and Dainese - crash tested it - held up well.

I personally can't see how you're not swimming in a 46 and definitely think the 46 A*'s would be too big - but we are probably built differently and have different preferences (I'm an athletic build with shorter arms and legs) - go Pilot and get it exactly the way you want it (the greatest thing about the Pilot to me is the length of the sleeves and legs - Everytime I put on the other two, I curse when I put on my gloves and boots where with the Pilot I giggle and seriously consider letting someone hack the other two.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Have a pilot as well. They send you a test fit suit, if you like the fit then you buy that size. I tried their 46 it fit great so that's what I bought. When my suit was made it was different...much tighter. Had to have BB modify the sleeves. I don't have Popeye arms, but damn, the suit was so different. Could be the test suit was stretched out from so much use?

9. SWAT_Spyder76

SWAT_Spyder76 Well-Known Member

I have a custom Pilot suit. Expensive. The measuring process was terrible and they botched my suit twice causing me to miss some weekends and billed me for their mistakes. They claimed I measured wrong but after I sent them pictures with the measurements it got quiet real fast. Overall fitment is ok. I agree custom is the way to go, but next time I will be trying something else. Had a minor lowside and found torn stitching already... my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jwm2k3

jwm2k3 Active Member

Well, i ended up buying a used Alpinestars GP PRO in size 46. If it dosent work out, Ill sell it and get a 44....

Ill know it a few days as soon as it arrives.