1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AHRMA F-500 Advice Please (Chris...Scott...Help)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by evilhordewannabe, Jun 6, 2002.

1. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've gotten the RD sorted out pretty well for F-500 over the last 2 races. I will be racing AHRMA at Mid Ohio and I just wanted some intput as to what will pass inspection for F-500 in AHRMA. My main concerns are my RZ front and rear ends. Scott, I know you have the same setup on your triple. Did you run it at Daytona? And did the tech guys have a problem with it? In my view all the components are legal when each one is viewed seperately. (style of brake calipers, size of forks, rim size etc, and the swingarm is converted to dual shocks) Chris, the picture in the AMA mag. seems to show your RD has a newer, wider rear wheel and box section swingarm. I don't know for sure, since I have never seen your bike at the races, except for the blur going by when you lapped me. Anway, can I leave the front and rear alone and be legal? Or do I plan on replacing these parts to race AHRMA? Oh...and I'll see everybody at Nelson Ledges. I took my racing school there and after suffering thru the Putnam round, I can't wait to get back to a nice smooth track....

2. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

jack turner(roadrace director) deemed my rz componants legal for f500. in fact he made the comment that i wasent trying to gain an advatage by using them and that the rz wheels are heavy.
    maybe you could work some overtime or sell some of the suzuki stuff and make road atlanta. how about some dedication!

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

As for the rear wheel and swingarm, the width limit is 3" and mags are OK. The RZ stuff, as Scott said, is no advantage. RZ swingarms are no advantage over the box section TD arms of the period. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are heavier as well.

4. Christopher Spargo

Christopher Spargo Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're considerably heavier, if I remember correctly...

AHRMA is interested in the "Historic" aspect of keeping everything similar appearing. There's definately no advantage to the RZ wheels. Yeah, WM3 front and WM5 rear is the width limit, min 18" diameter.

If you look closely, my swingarm is NOT a box section swingarm. It's actually a period round-section aluminum swingarm built here in Minnesota by a company called PDI. Box section steel is technically legal as well, as sarinen's bike ran one in '72. Box section ALUMINUM is probably not as legal... At the very least I'd make an attempt to paint it black like yamaha did with it's first aluminum frames...

cjs

5. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response guys

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice on this. I think I will leave the bike as is (except for the reed spacers) and just show up and race.