1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aeroplane Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 28, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Doing NASCAR loops

upload_2023-10-19_14-31-41.png

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Check out that seventies hair.

384566749_754280126740338_6699531678387171390_n.jpg

Gino230 likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Nice missile....

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Phoenix was a cool missile attached to a bitchin jet.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Watching those bad boys climb after launch is impressive. Very long burn and they would climb waaay up there to cruise in thin air. Even more impressive when they hit a target.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That’s what happens when you let all the skinny people sit up front and all the thicc’s in the back.

:D

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

That will be sporty on takeoff!

BigBird likes this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

And just so its clear to all yalls - I was NOT the shrooming guy that tried to shut down the alaska engines in flight

Gino230 likes this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

We have a tail stand on the 737-800's for that reason. In the old days we used to load the aft cargo first for efficiency- AFT Center of Gravity makes for better fuel burn. But for whatever reason we can't hire employees that have the capacity to execute this so now the bags are thrown in willy nilly and as long as we know where they are it's fine.

They always like to unload the forward cargo first for some reason, probably because that's where the wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers are supposed to go in last (first out) for all the moms and older folks who are waiting. We had a few tipping events, so now tail stands are mandatory. Guess JetBlue didn't get the memo.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

How much damage can that cause to the back of the plane? Or does it just float?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They should have a tail strike plate...so maybe nothing. But probably requires a mechanic to check it. @Gino230 ??

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

If a passenger breaks an arm rest it’s gotta get a sign off. A tail strike for sure but probably nothing major

16. Dave Wolfe

Yeah a tip back like that is common enough. It'll do some damage but certainly repairable.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sit boy, sit! Now shake a wing.
    That's a good plane, want to go for a flight?

Razr likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The 737-800 has a tail skid with a crushable canister, so if it were only the tail skid it's just a basic sign off. The problem is if there isn't a tail skid, they have to do some type of inspections. The pressure bulkhead is back there and if that's damaged it could take the whole tail off if it fails in flight (Japan air 747).

We've had tail strikes on landing which have caused upwards of $1m in damage. I don't know how they came up with that number and if it includes lost revenue or whatever- it's probably the inspections that take the plane out of service that are the most expensive. But on landing, the part of the fuselage that hits is usually well forward of the tail skid, the tail skid only protects you on takeoff.

These airplanes are pretty tough, that couldn't have caused more damage than a tail strike, you would think.....but my mechanical skills and knowledge are of the shade tree variety so take it for what its worth!

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

20. Dave Wolfe

6 months is about what I was guessing