Advent of ride sharing and self driving cars, what does it mean for motorcycles?

Discussion in 'General' started by SGVRider, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'd certainly look to swerve/turn safely but as a racer, you should know as well as I do what happens when you try to turn when you're already using your dollar's worth of traction to brake (Keith Code). You'll skid, lose control, hit the kid anyway, and also injure who knows else.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Agreed. What I was questioning most though was the programming of the self driving car.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It'll stop, probably faster than you can. It'll be no different than the auto-braking systems already on cars.

4. dtalbott

But the situation states no time or distance to stop.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's too much liability in the swerve. I would think the real computing would be in how the car scans its peripheral to see potential threats like kids/animals running towards the road. It wouldn't wait until the kid was in front of the car, it would calculate speed and course and if they intersect the car would begin braking to avoid it.

6. dtalbott

Situation stated kid popped out between two parked cars.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Have you seen the avoidance videos of the Tesla's self driving in action? It "sees" stuff that you can't see at all. There is a good chance it would be able to see the kid coming out from between the cars before you could see it with your eyes. As stated, if the system sees a collision as unavoidable, it will most likely do maximum braking in a straight line or in it's own lane if the road is curved.

A tougher choice for the system would be if a car pulls out into the road in front of the automated car with no warning from the right. A pedestrian is crossing the same road where the car just came from. On coming traffic in the other lane means it can't go there. So here it would have to veer sharply to the right to avoid hitting the car in front of it, but that would mean hitting the pedestrian. In all likelihood, it would probably just stay on the road with max braking and hit the other vehicle instead of braking and swerving and hitting the pedestrian.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

We just need to put levitation thrusters in them. Then when the unavoidable happens hey can just achieve lift and make the unavoidable avoidable.

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Haven't you seen the dark knight movies? Never works out quite wel for the batmobile

V5 Racer likes this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Some of you have way too much faith in the infallibility of technology.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It'll depend of course on specifics but overall it'd hit the parked cars. People in the car buckled up with airbags at 45mp are pretty safe.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd hit the cars, no other option. Granted it'd be while braking.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's part of what I meant by specifics. Just like us, a car with proper sensors would see the kids playing on the other side of the cars and adjust as necessary. Hell, they'd be better as they could see through the parked cars if done right.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Pshaw. That's cinematography.

I suppose you're telling me there's not an island with dinosaurs on it. :moon:

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The problem will be getting people to trust the technology that aren't complete fucking idiots. I spend too much time with "modern" technology to trust it to drive everyone around safely.

V5 Racer likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More faith than in other humans :D

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Humans can't do those. Around here it's infuriating, people will come to the 4 way and stop. You can be a hundred yards away and they will sit there until you get to the 4 way and completely stop before they go. Then you get to sit there and wait while they creep through the intersection.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even if the computers all fail miserably they'll still be better drivers than the vast majority of humans.

pscook likes this.
  19. There are 3 basic laws hardwired into the ECU of the the self-driving cars (iCars).

1. An iCar may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. An iCar must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. An iCar must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

20. dtalbott

I read that somewhere..........

Gorilla George likes this.