1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced geometry help R6

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Derick, Aug 22, 2016.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Did you actually measure circumference of the two tires inflated or did you take the spec off of a tire sheet? I find the spec sheets are sometimes inaccurate. And you may have oversimplified your approach, as the profile of the 190 is so different than the 180 that setting the geometry for the bike straight up and down did not work well as the bike leaned over. The 190 is 'heavier' on turn in, and your ride height change probably made it really hard to turn.

That's good that you discovered that. I don't know if you noticed any instability, but you would have found some eventually, maybe in a scary way.

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I used the spec sheet. Then calculated the difference in height between the 180 and 190 the raised the front that much to compensate.

In reality I was probably a bit lower than most in the front since I was running the 180, had I raised the front 4mm instead of 8mm, I think I would have been in a workable range instead of chopper style fighting the bike

I didn't notice any instability, I actually found the edge grip to be better which is why I wanted to stick with it and find a workable setup

3. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

550 spring equates to a 1.0 doesn't it? I believe a 600 is a 1.05. I'm curious where you end up as I will be running EVO'S too.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

sorry. was busy wining a shitload of races at summit point then driving back all day yesterday :)
    wondering why ya didn't just take away 8mm of shock length instead of adding 8mm to the fork length ? that would have kept the bike closer to your original numbers. Also agree that the front of your bike sounds high. i'm one of few running 5-10mm of fork tube showing above the clamps. i think our FRONT tire is a little taller than P and D but not positive on that.. the evo 120/70 is 605mm.. but i know i get inquisitive looks when people see my tubes showing above the clamps.

with a 297mm shock length and a 190/55 tire, i get really good edge and drive grip. i would have to measure from bottom of triple to axle (don't know) but my forks are not lengthened. Can ask T-man what hes got goin on in there, they are simply wonderful though :)
    some other variables to consider with my setup, i run less fork oil than most guys as fast and faster than me, i have 25mm ohlins fork carts still, and a jri shock with less spring than most guys as fast or faster..

5. MELK-MAN

pretty sure 550 is a 95 and 600 is 1.0
    i suggest going with less shock spring with the evo's . and if you are faster, and decide to try the Ultimate rear tire.. for sure will want the less firm shock spring. the ultimate is finicky though, it's not "plug and play" like the evo rear is, but, a faster rider can go faster with it..

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

2:1 ratio - that would have been 4mm. Still too much geometry change for just the tire.

ekraft84 and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Greg- the rear is at 293, I might be able to get it a mm or 2 shorter, but not 8

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. MELK-MAN

sorry.. yes. i was not doing any math , forgot about the front is 1:1 but rear shock length making 2:1 ride height change..

i'm not sure why ya have the shock so short and the front (according to the guys above) so high.. ? with that evo 190/55, with no shock shims, try the shock at 297mm eye to eye +- (you need longer, don't go shorter) and pull the fork tubes up to the first line. give that a whirl and see what ya think.

Derick likes this.
  9. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Will give it a go. Thanks Greg. If I lower the front 3-4mm that should put me close to your suggestion. I'll throw a turn or two at the rear also

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

just curious, how much preload on the shock spring? when i had a 95 in there, i was running 10-11mm. i then switched to a 90 and went up to 13mm with positive results.

11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Without my notes I want to say it's 8-10mm. It's been suggested I get a lighter spring, which I'll look at in the off season

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Sounds like a lot of "suggestions" you're getting. Hope you can come up with a detailed plan and figure out what works for you.

R6 setup should not be overly complicated, considering how many there are out there.

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I realized where I went wrong, so I know how to solve the issue and get back on track. I may try a few of the suggestions just to see how it goes

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Keep in mind that tires and pace have as much to do with spring rates as rider weight does.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

.i don't know that stuff above. Thermosman. :)
    I can't honestly imagine ever riding a 95 rear shock spring on my bikes even though i'm 165lb. My shock spring presently is .... a LOT less than 95 ;) but that's just me. lots of other guys goin fast with other setups.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

And I always ran a 95 spring on the R6 .. Not everyone is the same.

T-Man is great, but he can strike out too, like anyone else.

drop likes this.
  17. But you are a midget. I run 1.75's :)

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I've raced against guys on the same tires w similar pace running 100 or 105 on the shock. It works for them but it def won't work for me and the rest of my setup.

Suspension is both intriguing and frustrating because there are multiple solutions, esp given that no two riders are the same.

19. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I am running the EVO's but I weigh 175 w/o gear and have a Penske with a 600lb spring (so 1.0) I will give that a shot to see if it works than try the 550lb during my next set up/refresh (after this next test day at Barber). I will also plan to try a .975 set up up front with 5mm of tube showing (I will measure the front from the lower triple to see where that sets me and adjust)

20. MELK-MAN

i assume all that info isn't in reference to the 2nd gen r6 in your avatar?