1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addison's disease in dogs

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, Mar 15, 2017.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Not in one of our 3 dogs, thankfully, but there is a 10 month old yellow lab that needs to be rehomed/fostered because the family that own him cant afford the $200/month injection that he needs. We dont have tons of info at this time but I know we cant let him be put down because of this. Has anyone ever dealt with Addisons in a dog? We dont yet know what type he has. but I would guess Primary because it sounds like that is the only one that is treated with Percorten.

I mean look at him!

17240439_1395440337194786_7247084379123772165_o.jpg

madkaw likes this.
  2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Our friends have a Neo Mastiff with Addison's. They were out of the country when she first started showing symptoms and we had no idea what was going on. Thought we were going to lose her on the way to the vet. She gets her monthly shots and she's nearing 10 years old which is old for even a healthy Neo.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Beautiful pup.

PS.
    Don't let Tolstoy see that tile.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The pup looks awesome, I've never heard of the disease, gonna use the google.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It is when the Adrenal glands no longer function.

6. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Our chocolate lab had it. He took a pill daily no shots and live a day shy of his 12th birthday. He kidneys failed and within 24 hours went from active no issues to flail and almost lifeless. Slept in the floor with him and had no choice but to put down when morning came. You could see it in his eyes he had given up I miss my buddy.

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Never heard about Addisons in canines.

But my wife has Addison's. Pretty much a royal suck. She ended up having a pacemaker but in 3 years ago and then just last week a port installed so She can get daily IV's.

8. Oh man that makes me sad. I knew when I read the title that I probably shouldn't open this thread. :(

...seeing that fuckedupass flooring didn't help matters any.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My girlfriend had one of her adrenal glands removed about 2 years ago. After weeks of testing at The Mayo, they had no answers but didn't think the tumor on it was the cause. We convinced them to remove it anyways, and she immediately improved. She still battles migraines though.

10. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I had to scroll back to the pic. You crack me up lol. Cute pup btw. Can you get pet insurance to help cover the cost?

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I highly doubt it(preexisting condition). He is currently at his previous home(I do believe), but is being turned into a rescue that we adopted our senior lab from. His owners say they can't afford his $2500/year in medication he needs. If nothing else, we will foster him while trying to find him a forever home, but that wont be easy. The rescue has a Special Needs/Hospice program that they pay for all medical bills, good, medication, etc, until he gets adopted or passes.

jschuster2 likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey CB186, why don't you put up a paypal on here and we can gift you a little something to help out with the pup?

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thanks, but we're not at that stage yet. First he would come to us as a foster, meaning the rescue would be covering all his costs. Possibly at some point after that we adopt him, then Wed be paint the $200/month(possibly less, as Wed buy the vial and give him the shots at home).
    We are also entertaining the idea of seeing about helping the family out buy just paying for his meds every month so they can keep him(if this is the only reason they can't keep him).

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

He's beautiful. Praying for good things for this dog and all dogs that need help, love, and a home for that matter

15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I only know what Addison's disease is because my wife's company (pet insurance) just approved coverage for a
    Pup with the same diagnosis.

They reimburse 80% or so.

Insurance is a "scam," until you need it.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So we got Rio on Friday night. 10 months old, full of piss & vinegar, no social skills with other dogs or personal boundaries, bull in a china shop. The first 18 hours was a bit overwhelming, but he has started to calm down. He's kind of a meat head, small framed chunky monkey.
    He hadn't had his shot since February 23rd, so the gf took him to get it Saturday morning. They also prescribed a steroid for him that is needed to help with stress. We've figured out his owners were clueless about his condition, so its good they gave him up.

rd49 likes this.