A new tack on suppressors

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

2. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I heard this was one of the arguments used last year to make suppressors legal for recreational shooting and hunting in Germany.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There is no logic whatsoever behind keeping suppressors on the NFA, it has never made a lick of sense as to why they are there.

Falcondrvr and aedwards01 like this.
  4. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I agree. I think of it as being a good and considerate neighbor. The $200 tax stamp and wait time is such a nuisance.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't disagree, I just found the hearing loss angle to be funny :D

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

What??

SmokeSignalRT, V5 Racer and JeffroJ like this.
  7. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

:) With my son due here in a month, it is a legitimate concern of mine. I'm not going BS you, I also love to shoot in my yard and not pissing off the neighbors is another concern. :D I never understood why they are so restricted, because bad guys use them in movies?

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is kind of like using the ADA to approve ATVs on restricted trails. Interesting angle that gets humorous arguments.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL! Everyone at work has filled out the petition now...

10. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I shoot 100% suppressed for this reason. I've got a little bit of land, but neighbors are still a few hundred feet away. Not to mention my own kids/family.
    Would LOVE to be able to purchase suppressors at the local Cabelas with just a regular BG check and no wait. SBRs too for that matter. Keep full-auto and DD on the NFA for all I care, but take the rest off.

Murcielago311 and V5 Racer like this.
  11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm really hoping for a nationwide carry reciprocity bill to get passed through. I'd love to be able to drive through MD without the stop, unload, box, lock, crap.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Shouldn't even need that BG check. It an effing muffler, a firearm accessory. Hell, they should be included with each firearm.
    But the reaction to them by some is quite funny when you take one out and twist it onto the end of the barrel. Such a stigma for a pile of friggin' metal that simply muffles sound.

condon66 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Ed Zachary.

Nobody carries a suppressed weapon. Be like trying to hide a giraffe in a banana hammock.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What about those mini giraffes that Russian dude has?

Falcondrvr, V5 Racer and Phl218 like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Import tariffs are through the roof. ;)

16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Why?

You guys really don't know anything about silencers do you? This bill has been sitting around for a while waiting for the right moment. I think it's now.

Silencers were invented by the same guy that invented the car muffler for the same reason. Hearing protection. During the depression, the Gov thought that illegal poaching was going to be out of control because quieter guns would allow it to be easier, and people are hungry. So, they made it difficult to obtain one. The $200 tax stamp at that time ('30s), was about the price of a car so only wealthy people could afford them. The fee never changed.

There are places in Europe where they are mandatory. You stop in the store, drop your cash, and walk out with one. That's how it should be here. It won't affect poaching and that was the intent of the regulation. (or excuse, you decide)

rk97, Phl218 and XFBO like this.
  17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

As an LEO in Maryland, goodluck getting that past the Democrat disguised as a Republican Hogan...

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

In Northern Europe, it's considered rude to show up at the range with an un-silenced rifle. And as pointed out, once you're approved for a caliber/weapon type, getting a silencer for it is akin to buying ammunition in the states.

19. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Try hunting large game with a 300 win mag, ear protection is easily put on for a shot, and 170 decibels one time can cause hearing damage.

20. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm only poking you a little bit, Mongo, when I point out my disbelief that it's been
    The current bill that exists has provisions for dealing with states who punish law abiding citizens who are otherwise legal to carry in those states based on nationwide reciprocity.

I will say that as a citizen, it does make me feel a bit better about things that you specified governor as opposed to LEOs. :D