1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 gsxr running like sh!!!t

Discussion in 'Tech' started by KevMac, Sep 29, 2003.

1. KevMac

KevMac Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I got one for you.

The bike sounds like a twin going down the straights. Virtually no power throughout the entire band. I rode the bike around for a lap @ Nashville, I could get it into the higher end of the rpm range with a lot of clutch abuse. But, still no power. We replaced the plugs, checked all the headers (after it got cold) then ran it.
    They all got hot within a few seconds. We suspected a bad coil!
    Swithed the coil to one we felt reasonably comfortable with and had same results. Then drained fuel, replaced with new fuel. All to no avail. Here's the part you may find interesting (and hopefully memory jarring) the bike acted up for about three laps @ Barber, then came back to life for about 5-8 laps then went back to its current ways.
    The owner dropped it off at Sloans in Murfreesboro, Tn. on tues.
    said they would get to it by Thurs. or Fri. for a diagnostic exam. It's now late Monday. No one has even bothered to look at it.
    So professional help, (If you want call that professional help) is out of the question. I was hoping with all those so called "amatuers" on the BBS could help find a solution.
    Personally the BBS was my first choice. The owner felt that would take more time than a bona- fide shop. Well we are at about a week and still no closer to any resolution.
    Is it a valve(S), ignition,computer,carburetors?
    Any positive input would be greatly appreciated. As Nashville is just around the corner, and he would really like to participate
    Thanks,
    Kevin A. Mckemy nov#229

2. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Has anyone checked...

the fuel filter. Try to avoid adjusting anything. Replace the fuel filter, remove and rinse the tank with fresh fuel. Remember the three basics of engines; gas, spark, air. Sounds like you may have a nearly clogged filter. They are cheap and relatively simple compared to computer, coil, carbs. Keep us updated. Good luck

3. KevMac

KevMac Well-Known Member

Hey thanks

I do believe the owner did check the filter. I think we'll take your advice and change it. I definately won't hurt to have a new one.
    Once again thanks for your response
    Kevin

4. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Check the little filter in the fuel T on the carbs. You have to pull it out of the T with a pair of needlenoses....

5. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

check all the vacuum lines going to the carbs. also check the diaphram inside the carb. if the diaphram is damaged it will have a similar effect. the carbs could be gummed up real good too.

6. bigx1384

bigx1384 Banned

its hard to diagnose a bike over the wire, most suzi carbs have a little bitty screen on the float needle seat that will get stopped up with doodie, remove carbs and clean completely,,,,:Poke:

7. toeslider

toeslider Where is Watkinsville?

I thought that they were FI by then unless you are talking 600? We had the same problem with a friends. Race gas will tend to desolve the pump diaphragms in the tank. We found that the fuel pump mechanism was completely stoped up with scale and rust when we pulled it out of the tank The primary filter is inside a metal case inside the tank I believe. This was happening even though there was no trace of rust on the bottom of the tank.

8. KevMac

KevMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help

We tried everything you guys mentioned, no joy. Then pulled the engine sent it in for a little look see. It turned out to be an unusually high level of carbon deposits on the valves. ( Maybe pump gas may be the way to go from now on.) Re-installed the engine, runs like it should now.
    Once again, thanks to all of you who took the time to help us out. Good luck to all of you. See ya at Atlanta
    Kevin

9. skillets

skillets Gunnin' for terrance

Hey kev glad to see you got the bike running good again. This is not your 99 is it. Or did you sell it? Keep in touch, Chris aka bickering bitch